CHAPTER FOURTY SIX

NIGHT HAD FALLEN AND IT was finally time to begin phase one of their plan. The remaining six — Dustin, Amelia, Steve, Eddie, Robin and Nancy — now awaited in the RV that was still parked in the field outside Eddie's trailer.

"Okay, I wanna run through it one more time," Nancy stated from the front of the RV, pacing a little. "Phase one."

"We meet Erica at the playground," Robin began. "She'll signal Max and Lucas when we're ready."

Nancy nodded. "Phase two?"

"Max baits Vecna. He'll go after her, which'll put him in his trance," Steve stated, glancing at Amelia who was clearly unhappy with phase two.

"Phase three?"

"Me and Eddie draw the bats away," Dustin stated, causing Eddie to pat him on the head playfully.

Nancy then turned to Amelia. "And four?"

Amelia paused. "We head into Vecna's newly bat-free lair, and... flambé," she stated, holding up a lighter.

"Nobody moves onto the next phase until we've all copied," Nancy reminded, her face turning more serious as she glanced around the group. "Nobody deviates from the plan, no matter what. Got it?"

"Got it," the all simultaneously responded, standing up to make their way out of the RV.

The trailer park was eerily empty as they ran through it. To the naked eye, they seemed like crazy hunters about to overkill some animals, but they knew they were fighting to save Hawkins.

Once they made it inside, the group had crowded around the rope that lead them through the gate and back to the Upside Down.

As Steve took off his backpack, he prepared to jump through without a mattress to catch his fall. "Be careful," Dustin stated to his friend, causing Steve to smile.

"Thanks, buddy," he patted the boy on the shoulder before grabbing the rope. "Here goes nothing."

They watched as he pulled himself up through the gate before flipping around and landing perfectly on the ground. He then looked back up at the group with a smirk and a small shrug.

"What does he want us to do, applaud?" Robin muttered sarcastically as the boy dragged the dusty Upside Down mattress over to catch their falls.

"All right, lets go."

Amelia went first, dropping her bat and bag before grabbing onto the rope. With the help of Robin to get up, Amelia pulled herself up pausing when she seen the state of the mattress below her.

She scrunched up her nose slightly before dropping onto the mattress. Her back arched slightly, a small smile appearing on her face. "That one was fun..."

He chuckled slightly, sticking his hand out for her to help her up. When she took it, he pulled her into him causing her to let out a noise of surprise.

Their faces were just inches apart when Steve shamelessly glanced down at her lips before his eyes met hers once more. They stayed like that for a second, before Amelia smirked and straightened his jacket, pushing him back teasingly.

They backed off to make room for their weapons next, and soon Eddie followed, being pulled up by both Steve and Amelia. When he stood up properly to their eye sight, he gave them a smirk. "Offer still stands, lovebirds..."

Amelia scoffed slightly, pushing him to her side to make room for Robin and the rest.

Once everyone and their weapons and bags had made it over, the group made it outside the trailer and back to the Upside Down. Dustin and Eddie made it out last, just behind Steve and Amelia who both paused.