CHAPTER FOURTY FOUR

HAWKINS' GROUP OF NINE ALL spaced out around the RV as Steve drove them in the direction of The War Zone. Amelia was now sitting up front beside Steve as Nancy sat with Robin a bit behind them.

The eldest Henderson leaned her head against the window of the RV with her headphones on, her new Walkman playing the same Bryan Adams song as they went. They had made a pit stop along the way to the music store a little out from Hawkins and acquired both luckily.

Steve kept stealing glances at her as they drove down the country roads, wondering what she was thinking of. He wondered if she was as scared as he is, or if she was just accepting what was to become.

"How are you feeling?" He asked, gaining her attention as he turned to her.

She removed once headphone from her ear, tucking the speaker behind it as she gave him a shrug. "Can I be honest?"

He nodded, giving her a look as if to say is that really a question your asking me? She then glanced to the open road in front of her, before turning back to him with a frown. "Every time I close my eyes, I see— I see my dad... or at least the version of my dad he showed me."

"Yeah, I remember that asshole," Steve muttered, his mood souring at the thought of Mr Henderson.

Amelia nodded. "Never seems to fully go away, does he?"

Steve just sighed as Amelia continued. "Hopper was there too... I just— I couldn't even look at him. I miss him so much, Steve. Wish he was here..."

"Yeah, Hopper was always good to you... better than your actual dad," Steve stated, giving her another glance with a softened face as Amelia just shrugged. "But he's not here, anymore. And if the prick ever does come back, I'll never ever let him hurt you, Lia."

She nodded at him, giving him a small smile before deciding to change the subject. "How's the handle then?"

The boy then turned back to the road, shrugging. "Not half bad considering that this is a... house."

She chuckled, nodding as she glanced back down at her Walkman before he continued. "You know, it's silly but I... I've actually uh. You how we talked about that big family dream?"

Amelia nodded at him. "Yeah, six Harringtons."

He nodded back at her. "Three girls, three boys. Well, uh... I had this idea that every summer, I figured all of us Harringtons, we would pack into something like this and just... see the country."

"Really?" Amelia questioned with a smile.

"Yeah, you know? The Rockies, Grand Canyon, maybe Yellowstone. Then end up in some beachside town in California, spend a week parked in the sand. Learn how to surf, or something."

Amelia watched as the boy rambled on about the future, her eyes softening as she imagined that life with him. As much as she wanted a simple life with Steve, Lia was afraid she wouldn't make it that far. She hoped she did.

"Sounds amazing," she commented softly, her head leaning back into the chair as she stared at him lovingly.

He turned back to her, pouring the same amount of love in his eyes right back. "Yeah?"

"Yeah," she smiled, biting her lip slightly as the held eye contact before she looked away. "Well, um. Except for the six-kid part. I've already told you, that sounds like a complete nightmare. Plus, we already have like seven!"

Steve chuckled, knowing she was referring to the kids at the back and the ones in California. "Yeah, I'm the mom, remember?"

"So Max says," Amelia agreed, smiling over at him. "I'd like that. I've um... I've never been to the beach before."