CHAPTER FOURTY EIGHT

THE CLOCK HAD CHIMED FOUR times, the forth earthquake had hit, and they had failed. Now, to the three it seemed as though Amelia died for nothing.

It was quite a saddening sight to see. Steve Harrington sobbing uncontrollably with Amelia Henderson's lifeless body clutched close in hand, pools of her blood covering them. As the boy's forehead rested against hers, he wondered how he was ever supposed to move on.

It was safe to say Steve had spent a lot of his life wanting and waiting to be with Amelia. And once he had her, he was certain to never let go.

He never would let go of her. The girl of his dreams, the one he loved more than anything.

How would he ever get over this? The person who had turned his life around was dead in his arms.

Nancy and Robin held each other for comfort, not daring to look at the scene in front of them; for that would make it more real.

It took the group fifteen minutes of sobbing after her heart stopped to prepare themselves to leave.

"I... I can't leave her," Steve choked out to them, causing the girls to nod.

"Then we'll take her with us... maybe... give her a proper burial?" Robin asked nervously, not wanting to say anything to set Steve off once more.

But he just nodded, too exhausted and mentally drained to deal with the fact that he would have to lie to everyone how she died, he'd have to attend a funeral and bury her, never to be seen again. Steve scooped the girl up in his arms, carrying her bridal style as she hung limply across his chest.

He figured Amelia would want him to tell people a very dramatic story of her death... Like, she sacrificed herself to save everyone or fought of a group of killers to protect everyone — just to see how people reacted.

The walk back to the Munson's trailer was silent as no one knew what to say. Amelia Henderson, a life-long friend that went through hell and back with a smile, was dead.

Once they reached a clearing to the trailer, Robin and Nancy immediately noticed Dustin's crying form hunched over what looked to be Eddie Munson's body. Their hearts dropped, knowing that the boy's life was about to shatter even more than it already had.

"Eddie..." Nancy muttered sadly, the two girls looking down at him as more tears began to form.

They stepped in front of Steve, blocking Dustin's view from his dead sister just until they informed him. When he looked up at the movement, Robin ran to him and pulled him into a hug.

"Dustin, I— I'm sorry... we couldn't..." Robin trailed off slightly, holding back a sob as Dustin's tears face turned to her in confusion.

"You— you couldn't what?" He asked, panic laced within his voice as he glanced between the two girls. "Robin, what happened? Where's Amelia and Steve?"

Nancy just shook her head, moving to the side to reveal the tragedy. Before them, stood a heartbroken Steve Harrington, cradling Amelia Henderson's lifeless body.

Once Dustin seen them, it was truly as if apart of him died right then, because it did.

Steve's legs gave out on him, causing him to drop to his knees as he sobbed. As he placed Amelia's head on his lap once more, Dustin broke from Robin's hold and crawled over to them.

"Oh my god! Amelia..." Dustin stated, his hands hovering above her, unsure of what to do. He then glanced down at her stomach, his eyes widening as he seen the open wound and the knife in her chest. "W—what... what h—happened?"