094 • Juice/Dana

Start from the beginning

Afraid their lips would end up on each other as she looked up, she just kept leaning against him until the ride ended. Leaving the attraction, they got in line for the log flume. As they were waiting, Dana asked about his sister and his nephew. Luckily, the ordinary conversation took the tension between them a bit away. 

"She has one and half year to go," Juice told her. "Then he can finally go home."

She nodded slowly. "It's a lot to take in for that poor kid."

He dropped his eyes. "And I haven't made things much easier for him."

"Given the circumstances I think you did just fine, Juice." She nudged his shoulder. "Where's that biker arrogance I used to love? Women like that."

The smirk that followed after her words, reminded her of the old Juice again. Not much later, she even heard him laugh again. She was at the front of the log and was hit with a wave of water; so much that her shirt was soaked and her hair was sticking to her cheeks. She looked over her shoulder. "Next round you're gonna be at the front!"

Just at that moment she was met with another wave, although his laughter was totally worth it. Nevertheless, she was shivering as they left the ride. 

"You wanna dry out there?" He pointed to a patch of grass a little further. 

"You wish dude. We're going for another ride and we won't dry out before you're just as wet as I am."

"You mean your clothes or..." He moved his eyebrows up and down.

"You wanna find out if that's what I mean?" She copied the movements of his brow. "A little ahead is a haunted house. In case you want to carry on a certain tradition."

For a few seconds he stared at her, not knowing if she was serious or not. If she was honest, she neither knew that herself. The whole idea of a friendship would fail, but damn, how badly did she want to feel those hands on her body again, his lips on her skin. His glance glided across her wet shirt sticking to her chest and there was no doubt he was sharing that longing. 

"That's enough staring, young man. I'm afraid hot sex in a haunted house isn't part of our friendship package." 

"And what about hot sex in a fun-house with all those weird mirrors?"

His answer surprised her, and the boyish grin that was suddenly drawn on his face was something she'd missed for far too long. "I said I missed a bit of arrogance, you don't have to love yourself so much that you want to see yourself busy from all sides."

"It's not me I'd like to see from all sides."

His voice sounded dark and she felt how the heat was gathering in her lower regions. The teasing had changed into something else and the lust was coursing through her veins. Hooking her fingers through his belt loops she pulled him closer. For a moment moment her breathing was stuck in her throat when she felt how hard he was. 

"Maybe something for next year. If we're both completely ourselves again."

For a moment he held her glance. Countless emotions flashed by; disappointment, regret, hope, longing. 

"I think we're doing great today, Juice." Smiling, she looked up to him. "Today I got a lot of glimpses of the man I fell in love with. He's still there."  Teasingly, she patted his chest. "And now it's about time he gets as wet as I am, so I won't be the only one shivering."

"We'll see about that," he smirked. "I think you'll get the next batch too."

"You gimme your shirt if you're right?" she pouted. 

"You think lookin' at my sixpack is goin' to warm you up?"

"Hell yeah," she winked. 

When Dana turned home later that day, the butterflies were swarming through her belly again. She was still in love with him – or maybe she had even fallen in love with him again today. It had been a hopeful day, she truly believed they could become a couple in the future again, as they'd both healed a bit more. If he had proven her one thing today, it was that he wasn't a monster; he could still laugh, he could still enjoy life. He just needed someone who took his hand, who dragged him to places where he could find back a little bit of his old self. 

Later that night Dana was surprised with a visitor. It was Fye, who looked a bit skittishly at her. 

"Hey," she said friendly to the girl. 

"Hey. I thought umm... Can I talk to you about something?"

"Yeah sure. Come in." She stepped to the side, letting Fye in. 

A little later both girls were sitting on the couch. Fye looked nervous, she was fidgeting with her bracelet and barely dared to look at Dana. 

"What's going on?" Dana asked. Had she noticed a change in Juice's behavior? Had he told her he wanted her back? She felt ashamed of the hope blossoming inside her, but after today she wanted him back so badly. 

"Juice was different today. Happier, I think." Fye looked up to her. "Thank you for that. You have a great influence on him and I'm glad he's opening up to you instead of shutting you out." Fye was silent for while, looking for words. "I want to ask you something. You know him better than everyone else, so I hope you can give me some advice."

"Sure! Tell me what it is."

Fye stared at her knees. "I uhmm... I'm pregnant."

And then, it felt like a bucket of ice water was emptied above Dana's head. This afternoon had been so amazing, she had truly believed a future with Juice was still possible. And now, with these four words, Fye smashed that already fragile future to pieces.