084 • Happy

It wasn't like Happy had never hugged someone. More than once he'd greeted his brothers with a hug. However, apart from Tig he hadn't been allowed to touch any of them in five years and the only moment his cell mate had hugged him, was when they received the news that Dana was back, a couple of days ago, and that they were trying to get them out. 

Back then, there had been nothing but an intense joy flowing through his veins – a feeling that had been gone for a very, very long time. He was so unfamiliar with the feeling that he wasn't even sure this was really happening. In any case, that feeling was in a sharp contrast with the hesitation he felt now his father had wrapped his arms around him. 

More than twenty-five years he had banished his father from his life, but the past five years he had been forced to deal with him. To talk to him, to bare his presence around him. And he wasn't the worst company someone could wish for – but it called up so many mixed feelings that walking away was the only thing he wanted to do right now. 

Finally, his father let go of him. "I hope you'll visit me one day, boy. Together with your sister." With tears in his eyes he looked at Happy. "I would give up the world to see her again. Last time I saw her she was still wearing braids."

"I wouldn't count on it," Happy grumbled. There was no doubt that the past years had changed his little sister and he couldn't think of a way how their father could have a positive influence on her. 

His father just nodded. 

Happy turned away from him and walked over to Tig, where after they were taken by two guards. 

. . .

Ten minutes later he was outside. Although he'd been in jail before, it had never been this long and he'd never had such a hard time being inside. The moment his eye caught his brothers, a wide grin appeared on his face. Together with Tig he walked towards them. 

Of course Dana was the first one he took in his arms. Tears were stinging in his eyes when he pulled her close. There were countless things he wanted to say to her, but the huge lump in his throat just blocked all his words. For a while he was just holding her, convincing himself that it was really her. That she was really alive, that she had really returned.

"I knew it," he whispered eventually. He was startled by his broken voice, although he didn't care that much about it. "I knew you would kill the bastard." He laid a hand against her cheek and kissed her forehead. "I'm proud of you kid."

She smiled, wiping a few tears from her cheeks. 

The sight of her smile filled his eyes with tears. He had been terrified that she would never be able to smile again after everything she'd been through, but she was so unbelievably strong. 

"I want to introduce you to someone, Hap." She looked over her shoulder and gestured someone to come closer. 

Half Sack stepped away from the crowd, carrying a little kid on his hip. Dana took the boy from him and put him on her side. 

"This uncle Hap, Casper." Dana kissed the boy's temple before she aimed her sparkling eyes at her brother. 

"What?" he asked confused. "You – you got a kid? They told me... they told me your kid was dead."

The moment she dropped her eyes, he realized his mistake. 

She had lost a child. 

"Yes, Tabitha died."