The original "What Happens After King's Men" post

First, regarding book four: I think only one or two of you alluded to this, but I'm sorry, there is no book four. I know I could scrounge together enough plot for it, from Aaron's long-awaited trial to the complications of the new recruits to whatever, but honestly? I don't think it's worth it. Neil's life continues but his story is done, and I am happy to just put the pen down and leave him where he is. He can take it from here, and I need to let him go.

On side stories: Most of the extra scenes and side stories that you all haven't seen are stories that are no longer relevant. A lot of them were written about three drafts ago, when relationships and plot points were a little different. Everything current is up, so sadly we're done as far as the side stories go.

But while there won't be a continuation on the series, I can at least answer some questions about the Foxes' futures!

Riko's death: The Foxes are of course thrilled to find out what's happened and more than happy to pretend it's a suicide. Considering who's involved they are smart about what they say in public or where anyone might overhear them. There's some ugly backlash against the Foxes for breaking Riko's arm, but it's scattered at best considering the circumstances.

It'll take Kevin a couple years to get out of Riko's shadow--for years the comparisons and questions and sympathy will continue, and Kevin will have to play the part as best he can. Riko's "suicide" and Moriyama's resignation help cement Edgar Allan's decision to shut down the Ravens' Nest. There's the usual public argument about the cost of perfection and obsession, and dismay over such a senseless loss of life, but eventually it all dies down.

The Ravens: The original replacement coach for the team was Mikaela Dawson, a former Raven who'd gone on to coaching New Jersey's professional team. Considering all the controversy going on at Edgar Allan and their need to change their image, though, she wouldn't be a suitable replacement this time 'round. Instead the Ravens get an outsider, a well-qualified coach eager to take on a bigger and better team (who doesn't realize what he's getting into).

Even with Moriyama gone, they're a toxic and scheming lot. The upperclassmen have been around too long to be redeemed under a new coach, and the freshmen get pulled to panicked pieces between the upperclassmen's rot and their coach's saner approach. It takes them years to work that poison out of their ranks. In the meantime the USC Trojans become the dominating team in NCAA.

Collateral damage: Proust is researched and executed when Neil's story checks out. Clearing out Oakland takes a little more time considering there's a trial pending and a lot of people digging around in Drake's past, but with enough forged evidence it looks like the lawyers were targeted by past clients.

Aaron's trial happens early in the summer. Cass Spear comes to the trial, but she can't look Aaron or Andrew in the eye because they're identical and Aaron is the man who killed her only biological son. She can hate what sort of person her son was and hate the things he did, but he was still her son and she mourns him. She isn't ready to forgive Aaron and shunts some of that blame off on Andrew for never telling her and for letting it get to this point. It will be years before she can write Andrew a letter. Andrew will never respond to it, and she will never try again.

The Foxes: Adding six recruits to the line-up is a necessary mistake. The Foxes have gone through hell this past year, and it's finally brought them together. Now there are six strangers in the mix who only saw a fraction of the real story in the news, and it's bound to cause problems. The upperclassmen are of course more willing to reach out, but Andrew's lot predictably steers clear. Neil is supposed to be the bridge between them, but even he's tempted to close ranks considering how many problems he has with two of the new players. They'll get to where they need to be eventually, and Neil grows into his new position as vice captain. He takes over as captain when Dan graduates, though ordering Kevin around on the court is never a pleasant experience.

Post-graduation: Jean finishes school with the Trojans and goes pro when he graduates. He never aims for Court and never makes the cut, but he has a solid career and a lot of counseling along the way. Only four of the Foxes continue playing after college--Matt, Kevin, Neil, and Andrew. They are signed to the pros upon graduation, though none of them end up on the same team at first. Neil eventually makes his way onto Andrew's team.

Kevin is the first to be signed to Court. Andrew gets the second offer but turns it down initially. Neil is the last to get called on, though Court has been keeping an eye on him since they saw the Foxes' finals game against the Ravens Neil's freshman year. Kevin leans on Coach Kinzie as soon as he finds out Neil's being recruited, and Andrew gets a second chance. This time Andrew takes the offer.

A couple drafts ago Renee went into the Peace Corps post-graduation, where she met a fellow volunteer named Emilio. They were together for a few years before getting married, and somehow they managed to raise a couple children around their work. Of course, this final version of the series is the first one in years where Jean's survived King's Men, so I guess it's up in the air. Whatever Renee does with her life, I know she'll be happy, and she'll make the people around her happy.

Wymack and Abby never get married, but they do move in together during Neil's senior year.

Andrew and Neil (and Aaron): Aaron was smart enough to make his move on a Wednesday, at one of his and Andrew's shared sessions with Betsy Dobson. He'd figured out by that point that Andrew hadn't told her about Neil yet, and he hoped outing Andrew to her would give him an edge in the argument. Needless to say Andrew was still pissed off the next day when he had to drag Neil to the library and face Katelyn.

Andrew and Neil's relationship isn't without its problems, but it is lasting. They understand each other and are learning to talk to each other without keeping score. They aren't afraid to point out each other's flaws or call each other on the stupid things they do. Their openness and trust make them stable. Their relationship isn't a secret on the team, but it is private--they aren't the sort to share things about each other with anyone else (save Renee, from time to time, since Andrew's trust in her and her keen understanding of Andrew make her a good candidate for a confidante).

The Foxhole Court Tumblrजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें