10: The Race And Its Aftermath

I took my seat along with many other students of our school. The participants for the swimming race were getting ready in their locker rooms while we patiently awaited their arrival.

Yesterday was quite a narrow escape from death. If he never saved me, I wouldn't even be here today. If only I were able to thank him for saving my life.....

As I sat there quietly, this random girl comes up to me.

"Hi." She says, quite cheerful. Weird. Itni subha subha kaun idiot cheerful hota hai.

"Hey." I smiled.

"Umm.. can you tell me where the boys' locker rooms are?" She asks. Boys' locker rooms? What does she wanna do there? Unpleasant thoughts had started to evade my mind but I quickly pished them away and answered. "You go straight and then take right."

"Thanks a lot. Hafsa, by the way." She smiled and held out her hand for me.

I shake it, saying. "Nida. Pleasure to meet you."

"You too. Umm.. can I sit here with you when I come back? If you don't mind, that is?" She says reluctantly.

"Of course you can Hafsa. I'll save your spot." I smiled at her, and she leaves.

Just this one guy encircled my mind. Why is Shehry so complicated? Why do I sometimes feel I'm still unable to understand him completely? The minute I start to think I've understood him, he begins doing things which make me feel that I didn't.

It was about time Hafsa returned and took her seat beside me.

"So, what year?" She asks me.

"Freshman. You?"

"Sophomore. I'm new here, by the way." She tells me. Great. Another new student. What's up with Richard Shane admitting students in the middle of the year? As if 30 students in each section wasn't enough already. I mentally frowned.

"Oh nice. But why'd you join so late?" I asked.

"Actually I was in Pakistan and we had sudden plans to move here, due to a few reasons, hence the late admission." She explains.

"Right. Hope you enjoy your time here." I smile at her and she smiles back saying. "Thank you."

All of a sudden, the participants started heading out in the pool area for the race and the girls in the audience went wild the minute the guys came out.

"Well, I think I'm gonna enjoy my time here." Hafsa winks at me.

"Haan haan, eye candy jo dekhnay ko mile gi." I chuckled as I nudged her and she lets out a shy smile.

"Waise, yahaan ke ladkay itne buray nahi hain. Pakistan mein to chichoron ki lines lagi hoti thi, humaare girls' wing ke baahir." She rolls her eyes, explaining the weird atmosphere of separate schools.

I laugh. "Did any chichora ever bother you?"

"Don't even ask. It was part of my routine to deal with a new flirt everyday." She chuckled.

"I don't blame them. You're quite pretty." I complimented her with a warm smile.

"Aww, you're sweet. Thanks. You're no less, yourself. I'm pretty sure you must be facing the same situation, huh?" She winks.

"Not gonna exaggerate, but yes. But I guess it isn't as bad as in Paki."

"As expected. You're beautiful." She says with a cute smile.

"Thanks." I give a shy smile.

"So.....who's the lucky guy?" She asks.

"Huh?" I ask, unsure of what she meant.