3: Butthurt

It's been a crazy first week at Richard Shane, and I've made loads of friends. I would very frequently get hit on by guys in my class but that one guy who I personally wished would have flirted with me, would just sit there chilling with his own large group of friends. We did have a few mutual friends and they sorted us both in the 'popular newbies' category. Seriously?

Funny how we never really interacted after our bike ride on Tuesday when that one ride could have possibly been hashtag 'The Start Of Something New'? But reality deemed, it wasn't. He's still the same old Shehry who's extremely full of himself.

He was the hottest guy in class and as expected, girls would woo him. Forget the juniors, even sophomores would hit on him. Gross. But as much as I hate to say it, I had this inferno of jealousy burning inside of me. And to add a cherry on top, he always used to act like a goody two shoes when socializing with those girls. Two faced kahin ka.

I frowned to myself as I sat in English class waiting for our teacher. Shehry still wasn't here yet. Was he absent? Wait, why the hell am I so concerned about this two-faced guy. Baaqi larkiyon ke saamne to farishta(angel) banta phirta hai. Aur mujhe, jootay ki nauk pe rakhta hai. Idiot !

My blood just started to boil with thoughts of him, so I did the usual inhaling and exhaling to calm myself down, before I start whacking tables, books, chairs and people everywhere. This just sucked.

Soon, the teacher Mr. Briggs came and asked for the essays he gave for homework.

"Alright students. I checked your essays over the weekend and I MUST say....." He halted midway through his sentence, rummaging through the pile of the English notebooks on his table and finally took out a notebook which seemed quite familiar.

Squinting at the notebook in his hand, I just discovered it was mine. OH GOD ! I hope he doesn't insult me over my essay. Mummy ! I started biting my nails in nervousness when all of a sudden Shehry barged into the classroom with a girl who also belonged to our class. Yeah, must definitely be busy smooching that chick.

"Sorry, I'm late Mr. Briggs." He looked down embarassed and took his seat. I clenched my fists in anger. Okay, calm the eff down Nida ! There's something much more frightening going on.

As Shehry and the girl Ashley sat down. Mr. Briggs clears his throat and continues. "Okay, so I was saying that Miss..Nida." The minute he announced my name, my heart exploded and from the corner of my eye, I noticed Shehry gape at me with a not so pleasing look on his face.

"Your essay is EXEMPLARY ! I have never in my entire 15 years as a teacher seen an essay so descriptive and perfect. Grammar, spellings and punctuation, style and diction. Just PERFECT!!"

I just sat there in my seat, too stunned to utter anything. My eyes widened and the class gave me an applause.

"Miss Nida, how about you come here and read out your essay?" Mr. Briggs asked

"Uhh... sore throat." I fake coughed and pretended to have a sore throat when I really didn't. ANYTHING to stop me from reading in front of Shehry.

"Oh, I see. Mr. Shehryaar. How about you read this essay aloud in the class? You could certainly learn a thing or two. I love your essays too, no doubt. But this !!! Just left me speechless." Mr. Briggs said with a huge grin plastered to his face.

I rolled my eyeballs in Shehry's direction and saw the rage in his eyes. His face almost looked like he would eat Mr. Briggs alive. This.....is bad. Really bad.

I don't want Shehry to feel inferior to me so before he could get up and walk over to Mr. Briggs, I stood in my seat, with absolutely no idea what I was about to do. I walked over to him and asked. "Mr. Briggs, can I please talk to you for a minute. It's urgent."