9: Saviour Or Tormentor

Start from the beginning

I think I really am in love with her. I mean, I've been with Hafsa all my childhood, but never felt anything as such that I now feel for Nida. Hafsa's been my childhood best friend but we never had anything of the 'love' sort between us.

I'll just wait and see how it all works out. And with these thoughts, I shut my eyes and slept.

Next morning (Nida's POV):

I woke up at around six and took a warm shower. The thought of swimming practice suddenly engulfed my mind, and gave me the chills. I've skipped swimming practice this whole week because I was just too afraid of embarassing myself in front of everybody.

I got ready in my black hoodie and dark blue denims, paired with white sneakers. Grabbing my car keys, I drove to school.

I entered the girls' sports locker room amd changed into a nice navy blue T-shirt and black trousers, since we had swimming practice all day today, to the finalize things for tomorrow.

Untying my hair, I carefully made my way to the girls' pools to avoid Mr. Lee from sighting me. Obviously, he might get back at me for bunking all practice sessions.

I reached the pools which were, surprisingly, empty. Well, guess I was early. Alright Nida, breathe. I shut my eyes, silently praying I don't drown the second I set foot into this deep pool.

Yes, I CAN'T SWIM ! This was the reason I skipped all practices. I wasn't as embarassed of this fact in front of the other students as much as I was afraid of revealing it to Shehry. He was a pro swimmer and I couldn't afford to embarass myself in front of him.

I put my foot into the water and immediately pulled back as I felt the freezing effect all over me. The water was so cold and to add icing to the cake, it was freakin' -10°C today.

I don't think I can do this. I might as well tell Mr. Lee. But I can't. Shehry will think I'm weak and can't beat him at swimming. And I can't let that happen.

As I stood there overthinkimg the issue, I felt a sudden thrust to my spine, making me lose my balance and I lunged deep down into the freezing pool.

My vision blurred and I began losing my breath into bubbles in the depth of the water. I was completely unable to pull myself upwards and became pretty certain that my time....had come.

My eyes shut as I dropped deeper into the pool and it blacked out. Somebody had just pushed me to my death.

Shehry's POV:

I quickly changed up into a vest and shorts as I headed towards the pools. Good thing I'm early and have enough time to work on my strategies for the race.

Reaching the pools from the left, I notice bubbles on the girls' side of the pool. I inched forward and couldn't believe my eyes. Someone was drowning.

I threw my mobile phone on the benches and immediately dived into the pool. As I held my breath, I located the girl and grabbed her, swimming hurriedly upto the surface. Her hair were all over her face and she just seemed dead as I held her in my arms.

I was so tensed, I could feel my heart explode any minute. I can't let her die in front of my own eyes. I just can't.

Reaching the end of the pool, I put her down on the ground and hassled out the pool myself. I shoved her hair away from her face and my eyes popped out of my eye sockets. It was......Nida.

"Nida? Nida, can you hear me?" I panted, but no response.

I instantly barged into Mr. Lee's office for help but he wasn't there. I couldn't afford to lose a second further so I ran back to her and began giving her a CPR. I can't believe I was doing this. I had just studied about it, but now I was practically implementing it with absolutely no assurity whether I was doing it right.