Briac, Prince of Bryni

"Rosemary!" I heard her father call, and we both turned- to face our parents. But, As my eyes went to their faces they caught one of the other princes eye- Rosemary's brother- Jackson's eyes and my heart stopped for a brief instant. In the silver orbs I saw another's face for the briefest of moments and I was brought back in a moment to another time, another place. A battle field, running red with the blood of my friend and enemies, a fallen enemy at my feet and the eyes of a young man who seemed many years my junior, staring at me with pure hatred.

I broke away from Rosemary almost before I was aware of it and stepped to meet Jackson who was angrily approaching me.

“Briac, whats going on here?” Rayven asked worriedly- clinging to Tiny Princes arm,

“You killed my brother.” The words were spoken quite calmly, quietly, but the worst kind of either. The calm quiet of a burned out shell of a home. The Dead Calm and quiet of a grave- the Quiet Calm of the world before a tempest- I felt all my body go stiff- ready to fight or fly, whichever was needed. I felt rather then see Rosemary at my side- her small hands grab my arm- her gentle soft hands.... her gentle soft heart.

“Wh-what?” I said to him- already knowing of what he spoke, and cursing my stutter. 

"A man with raven hair and brown skin," I could see the face and the man clearly- a proud prince on a snow white horse- leading his charging Lances towards mine. "silver eyes to match mine and my sister's and father's." I could see those eyes- those proud defiant eyes, eyes so full of hatred and malice, but full of agony when I took him down, eyes that went so dull when the life left him as my sword did.

I could remember the moment so well, I could remember his face so well... I saw it a thousand times a day- I could not sleep without him haunting my dreams on his spectral horse, the dreaded pallor over his face, the dead white eyes.... I shivered involuntarily. I was so lost in thought is wasn't' until Jackson began shouting that I was called back to the present- to the moment..

"I knew I knew you from somewhere! I knew it! Don't you remember!? DON'T you!? Before you were disfigured! In a battle between Harrow and Bryni you killed my brother, slashed his throat and rammed your sword through his chest, and you looked up and you saw a horrified duplicate of the one you killed. And you ran on to kill more of my comrades. TELL ME YOU REMEMBER!! Tell me that you didn't forget the reason me and my sister...your bloody fiance cried and mourned for months on end!" 

I flinched, what man wouldn't as such an onslaught. I couldn't even look at Rosemary, though I could feel her eyes on me. I slowly stepped closer to Jackson- hand raised.

“Please Jackson, not here, not now. Not in front of the ladies.” For once my voice didn't stutter, my tongue didn't betray me. “Of course I remember your brother, he was an honorable man, and a even more honorable warrior- I made an offering to God that is Soul have easy passage to the house of your fathers. He died with honor. 

“I don't care how he died- YOU killed him!” Jackson was after blood- I saw it in his eyes in a moment. I had seen that look before- in the face of every man I met in battle. 

“Jackson please-” I got no further- I saw his body coil up and I knew what he was about to do- I shoved Rosemary to the side- I couldn't bare it if she was harmed.

“Get Back Rosemary!” I cried as her brother drew his sword and lunged at me- it was a hasty strike and I dodged easily- but I knew the Knights of his kingdom, I knew what capable and deadly adversaries they were and I knew he wanted revenge. I tried to get distance- tried to get him away from Rosemary, my sister and parents. 

Cursing myself for leaving my sword in my room and pulled my dagger from m belt, the guards rushed forward but I called them back.

“Duel!” I cried in my native tongue- they knew then this was a test of arms between two men, a private battle. If I died I didn't want it to spark another war. I saw the look of horror in my mother's eyes- saw my father catch his breath. No one could help me now. If Jackson wanted me dead, he could kill me if he had the chance and no revenge would be exacted on him. I almost was too late doging Jacksons next blow- Damn him, he was attacking my blind side- I just barely blocked the downward strike of his sword with the thin blade of my dagger and deflect it.

Leaping over a table and got my hands on one of the many weapons hanging around the hall- a sword, not unlike my own and turned to face Jackson again- taking as best a stance as I could.

“Yes, I killed your brother. I don't claim to be clean of his blood. But it was a battle Jackson- I did not seek your brother out to end his life!” I shouted as we battled back and forth across the hall- people scattering left and right- the guards holding those who would join back- this was a sacred fight. Jackson was a swordsman to be reckoned with- the kind our bards wrote songs about to sing on long wintery nights- he seemed to dance rather then run, his sword was an extension of his being and he used it as delicately as my mother handled her paints. He was a swordsman I would have loved to spar with- to cross blades with in a test of strengths- not in a battle to the death. I blocked and dodged his blows, I wouldn't kill him, not here in front of his sister and parents.... not now- I already took one brother and son from them. So I dodged best I could but he got me twice- once on my side- I felt the warm blood running, and once on what would have been my shoulder if that arm was still there.

I heard Rosemary's cries and I prayed she stayed back.

“Jackson please!” I tried to reason with him, “It was a battle- I didn't seek him out to kill him- he attacked me first! It was either his life or mine-and I'm not ready to die- just like today.” I beat down his guard- knowing I had to end this, and dealt him a blow on the back of the head with the hilt of my sword- knocking him out- he may have been an excellent Warrior- but he wasn't my match. I breathing hard I faced everyone in the hall, all eyes on me.

“H-he isn't hurt...though, h-h-he might h-have a headache when h-he wakes up.” Then I left, going to my room- I couldn't face all those in the hall- My parents, the other princes, Jacksons patents.... Rosemary.