Rosemary, Princess of Harrow

My small hand drowned in Jackson's as we walked with our parents to the feasting hall.Just before we entered, I felt my father's hand on my shoulder and he gave me a sad smile, which I returned.

As we entered the feasting hall, bright lights and smells of food overwhelmed my senses, and I gripped Jackson's hand even harder. As I looked towards the table where everyone was sitting, Jackson gave my hand a reassuring squeeze.

"Jackson, Rosemary, darlings," our mother said, "sit between your father and I, okay?"

I sat staring at the food in front of me, my hands fidgeting in folds of my dark blue dress. The silver embroidery matched my eyes, which is why I chose it. Mother gave me a glance as if to tell me I was being rude by not eating...but how could I eat when at this very moment my future was bring discussed....and I didn't have a say in it. Literally. None of us are even allowed to talk. 

With a sigh, I picked up my fork and began to push around the food on my plate when I heard my brother's name come up.

"Jackson and Saja could make a nice couple," my mother said.

"Or," my father added, "Jackson and Aris?"

I found his hand under the table and squeezed it. Jackson glanced at me and I gave him a reassuring smile.

The next thing I knew, it was declared, "Alright, so Jackson and Aris will be paired."

I slid my eyes over to a girl with fiery red hair, the girl I would have to share my brother with, and then my father said warily, "Now....Rosemary. As you probably all know, I lost my eldest son in a battle against Bryni." Everyone at the table tensed, but none more so than Jackson.

"Consequently," my father said, sounding as if each word was killing him, " I think it would be in the best interest of all the kingdoms....for Rosemary and Briac to be paired."