Briac, Prince of Bryni

“Briac...” She whispered- so soft I barely heard her. Her hands still playing with my hair- pulling the tie that held it somewhat out of my face. I shivered- her hands were so soft- so gentle. She brushed the curls from my forehead, then I felt her lips on my brow and I looked up at her- she.... she just kissed me! "Would you like for me to have lost you, too?" I couldn't speak- words ad even coherent thought escaped me. Her soft lips touched the corner of my ruined eye and I suppressed another shiver- her hands never leaving my hair.

"Don't you believe in fate? A chain reaction, perhaps?" She kissed my cheek and I wanted to stop her- to say all the pretty delicate speeches other men said to their intendeds. But my tongue seemed glued to the inside of my mouth. "You see, none of this would have happened. We would still be at war, don't you see? We would have lost more people. Everything would be different." 

Yes it would be different, I thought- she would still have her brother, she wouldn't be bound to me, to a disfigured half man. Her delicate hands turned my face up to hers- her soft lips- god her lips, trailed soft butterfly kisses down my jaw- over every scar. What was she doing to me? Why was she doing this?! "And I would not know you. He's gone, Briac. You're not." 

Could it be possible? I had only met this girl the night before- could it be possible she actually.... she might be developing something for me? Why would she? I killed her brother, I was her enemy- I wasn't the prince these girls dreamed of. They dreamed of Handsome princes with whole bodies. Not broken warriors who woke up in cold swears tormented by the ghosts of the men they killed.

Her fingers traced the outline of my lips and my heart almost failed me- was she? Was she going to....

“R-rosie don't...” The words came out without me meaning to- this wasn't right- but Gods above I wanted her to. I wanted to taste her lips- were they as sweet at they looked? 

She cupped my face in her hands and gently- barely touching them she kissed my lips, then she pulled back and I felt somehow bereft. I opened my eyes and looked up. “It's okay Briac, it's okay.” she murmured softly, fingers trailing over my face again- I didn't want her to stop, ever. She looked at me, really looked at me and I waited- what was she going to do now? "I'm afraid I've made made a mess of you Briac." 

Yes she had, she had made a mess of me, ruined me. I was content as I was before. I was content to simply live out my life as a warrior- to be king after my father and leave Bryni to Rayven's children. I was going to die alone- and I had been content to be so. Until She breezed so easily into my life. Until her bight eyes and musical voice invaded every facet of my soul. Until she started putting thoughts into my head that maybe marriage for me wouldn't be an act of duty, that maybe it would be full of love at well. Until she kissed me and I felt her heartbeat- how right she felt in my arm, how I wanted her to be there always...Did I love her? I couldn't answer that-I had only met her that morning, but could I learn to love her? Would loving Rosemary come easily to me? Gods above yes. 

Her hands on my face brought me out of my revery and I felt her fingers slick with blood. 

"I'm afraid I've made made a mess of you Briac." she repeated and I realized she had meant what she said literally.... not the mess she made of my soul. I stood- wincing slightly as my side reminded me it was still an open wound. I chuckled and placed Rosie's hand over the spot- on the bandages my mother had wrapped around me. 

“A little more blood won't hurt.” She colored softly and smiled up at me.

“Briac,” she whispered- cheeks growing redder, “you're not wearing a shirt- do you know that?” 

...no I hadn't known that- Oh god I had run out of my room without putting my tunic back on! II felt my cheeks go hot then I looked down at Rosie and my heart leaped into my mouth- she was in her underthings! I am ashamed of it but I am only a man, and my eyes raked over her for a long moment- thinking very impure thoughts about sweet little Rosemary before I contained them.

“do you know,” I said smiling shyly, “That you are only dressed in a slip?” Her bright laughter made me relax and I took her hand, “L-l-let me help y-you Princess? Your w-w-wounds need cl-cle-cleaning.”

“Oh no it's fi-” I cut her off,

“P-please?” she blushed but nodded and I put my arm about her waist and led her from the stable, and along back passages to my rooms- I didn't know where her's was and I had things for healing in my small parlor. Knowing how wrong this all was I tried to suppress a shiver of having this beautiful, barely clothed maiden in my room. To my surprise my room was neat and orderly- how It normally was- my mother. I could see her hand in this a mile off. Smiling softly I went to my clothes chest and pulled out a shirt for myself and another for Rosie- I handed the white tunic to her.

“H-here.” I blushed to my ears- trying and failing to keep my eyes off her slender form in that thin slip. It was almost a dress on her small frame and I chuckled- hurrying to my desk where I kept a small first aid kit. Taking this and a basin of water to where she stood I had her sit on a footstool. Let me s-s-see your a-arms.” She held them out and my heart twisted- the cuts weren't bad, but I had caused these too. “I-I-I'm so s-s-s-sory Rosie.” I stammered as I bathed her arms in the basin of water- cleaning the many small cuts, her face tightened- I knew she was in pain.

“It's alright Briac.” she said smiling “you were trying to protect me.” I nodded- pulling a few small bits of glass from her right arm.

“Yes, but I-i-in D-doing s-so I h-hurt you.” I frowned, “Th-that is not p-p-protecting.... I c-caused you more h-hurt.” she shrugged,

“but you were trying to, that's as good as protecting.” I could see we weren't going to agree on this. I ripped up the bandages into thinner strips and began to bind her arms- trying to be gentle. My mind whirring with a thousand things I wanted to say to her, to ask her, to do to her..... I shook myself hard as the last thoughts tried creeping into my mind. 

“Ro-rosemary...” I began- trying my best not to stutter. “D-do, you th-th-think you could be h-happy h-here? W-with me?” I forced the last words out before my courage failed. She looked at me wide eyed

“I-I,” It was her turn to stammer, “I think so...why?” I cupped her small face in my hand- calloused fingers tracing her perfect features.

“Because, I-I want you t-to b-b-be mine.” she gasps softly, hands fisting in my shirt

“Briac....” she murmured softly- I could feel she was trembling. I pulled her face to mine and kissed her. I needed to know what her lips really felt like, what she tasted like. My hand tangled in her long hair- pulling her against me.

She tasted like honey, like sunshine. She smelled incredible- like a field of wildflowers. I felt like I was drowning and I didn't want to be rescued. I wanted to drown forever. She just felt so right in my arms...