Saja, Princess of Draconia

His last words played over and over again in my mind. His face, his smile- everything about him seemed so fresh, so new- so... so wonderful. I twirled and landed on my bed- hugging my pillow to me.

...August. Even his name was so wonderful-I sighed heavily and kicked off my silk slippers. It was too bad those two princes had to ruin the ball for everyone else. August was going to dance with me again, but instead he hurried me to my room- something about it not being safe.

I got up and changed into my nightgown- brushing out my hair and thinking about August- Just everything about him, his smile, the sound of his voice, his smell- he smelled like the outdoors, like green trees and Pine needles. I sighed heavily- and twirled about my room again.

“Well my love, you seem to be happy. At least someone is.” I started and looked towards my door- my father stood there smiling at me. I ran to his open arms and hugged him, his large rough hands patted my head, “Do you like him Love? Do you Like Prince August?” I nodded furiously- grinning ear to ear and scrambling to the vanity that was in the room I caught up my pen and paper.

~Oh yes Papa I like him. He's so nice and he doesn't mind that I can't talk and he danced with me! He wanted to- no one made him he really just wanted to!~ 

Chuckling my father read my note- but I saw his brows draw together.

“ I see, well....” Something was wrong- I grabbed his big hand, he met my eyes and I was he was troubled, I tugged his sleeve- urging him to speak. “Saja, I am sorry love but you and he might not be wed. His parents are concerned about this- what happened tonight. I was speaking with his father and he doesn't think marriages will solve our kingdoms problems.... I am sorry love.” My stomach turned bottom side up, I felt the tears come- I didn't realize I had accepted that I was going to belong to August- I hadn't realized I wanted to... but now- now that is was being taken away. I burst into tears and clung to my father. His strong arms wrapped about me and lifted me- carrying my like I was a small girl again. 

“Shh, oh Saja I'm sorry. I didn't realize... Do you love him?” I shook my head, face buried against his velvet doublet. “Then why are you crying Love?” He handed me my pencil and paper and I scribbled a note- tears falling on the page..

~I like his a lot Daddy, I want to marry him. He likes me, he talks to me.~ He cupped my face in his hands. 

“I see, Well Love- I'll see what I can do.” He kissed my cheek, tucked me in, then left the room, left me alone with my tears. 

I cried for what seemed like an hour but the hands on the clock had only moved a quarter of that time. I sat up in the darkness, my mind made up. Slipping from my bed I went to my Vanity and lit the lamp- taking a pice of paper I began to write.

~Dear Prince August,

I hope you enjoyed the party tonight, I know I did. Dancing with you was the most fun I've had in a long time. I love dancing and most of the time I don't get to dance at balls. Unlike you most of the boys are afraid of me.~

Frowning I started again, I needed to tell him something- what that was I wasn't sure.

~Prince August,

I had such a wonderful time dancing with you, and talking with you tonight- I hope you feel the same. I'm not sure why I am writing this but I want to, I want to talk to you again. You're so good and kind to me, nicer then any Man or boy has ever been.~

I tucked a lock of hair behind my ear and chewed my lip- trying to think of what to write next.

~I'm sorry the party had to end on such a bad note, and that we couldn't talk more. And how all the Kings are so angry now... Daddy says your Father doesn't want to go through with the marriges anymore, that we might not be married. And that makes me sad...~

Stopping I read what I had written, the lamp fizzled and I had to relight it.

~~And that makes me sad. You are so good and kind to me, you care.... No ones ever cared before- no one besides Daddy and Mama. I'm sad we won't get married. I wanted to. I could love you, I know I could, it wouldn't be hard to love you August. I was excited to marry you, to learn everything about you, to learn about your home- I wanted you to meet Tam- he's my best friend. But now, now you might not get too.

Anyway- I'm running on with this letter, I don't know why I even wrote it, I just wanted to say more to you, to...even be friends. Even if we don't get married and all the bad things happen again, I'd like us to be friends- you're the first person who actually talked to me. Mama and Daddy try but they're so busy and worried about the kingdom, and my brother Rhay is so sad all the time... You made me happy. Even if it was only for two dances- I feel really happy still. Its like when I fly with Tam, I felt happy...free. I felt normal. 

Goodnight August, Thank you for what you've done for me- even if it doesn't go any further I won't forget tonight as long as I live.

Princess Saja~

Quickly I folded up the note, put on my robe and headed into the darkened hallway towards the rooms that were given to August and his family. I looked at the three doors and found the one marked for the prince. Kneeling I tried to slip the letter under the door, but the sill of the door blocked it- I didn't want anyone else to find the note... I laid my hand on the doorknob- heart almost failing me. Was I really going to put a note in a mans room? This wasn't proper.... I turned the knob and it yielded, Pushing the door open I peeked in- the room was dark and I thought I heard August's soft sleep breathing. The room smelled like Leather and Pine- just like August. I stole in- trying to be quiet as a mouse- I bumped into a table and I froze- he slept on. I set the letter on the table and turned for the door- but Oh Merciful gods I didn't know where the door was! I was totally disoriented in the dark room. In a dark room with a handsome prince sleeping not to far away. I felt around the room- bumping into things and praising the Gods that August seemed to be such a heavy sleeper...