Briac, Prince of Bryni

I walked into the feasting hall- startled at the change that had taken place. The rough wooden benches and tables were gone- a great central table had been put up and covered with cloths- each one bearing a royal families insignia. This wasn't the great hall I knew- this was some pompous room- why couldn't we just have kept our true feasting room? Why all this show of....civilization? Heaven knows they all know our reputation- why try to show we are as fancily cultured as they? 

“Briac!” My fathers shout brought me out of my reverie, “Come sit my boy- the feast will start soon.”

Walking over I observed the seating arrangements and smile- my father was not a diplomat- so clearly mother had arranged them. I took my seat beside my father and looked at the few adults who were there- all looking less then at ease, I fingered the hilt of my sword.

“Briac you brought that?” My mothers hawk eyes noticed the movement even from across the room- let the other kingdoms say what they will about us being simple or uncultured- we were just as good as they. 

“I always wear this mother... you know that.” She gave me a look that made me feel like a small boy who was guilty of something.

“I know, and I know all our men carry weapons at most times... but I thought tonight you would have had a little more decorum.” She sighed, “But, you are your fathers son, and why hide what you are from these people.” she patted my cheek as she took her place- I grinned- that was as good as her saying she approved of the sword in the feast hall. 

I noticed soon after that all the kings and queens flanked their children- so we could not talk to our prospective mates- sly things. Made sense though,... they didn't want their offsprings feelings to go to someone they didn't pick.

Soon after the last queen dragged the last prince in- a sickly looking boy with almost white hair and the most morose look in his dull eyes- the feast commenced. And if my people know only one thing aside from horses- it is feasts. It nearly snowed food and rained drink- a good thing for me, faced with all these pretty young maidens had my nerves on edge. I knew well enough tonight was not the night to drink to excess, but a pint or two wouldn't hurt anyone. 

As I worked my way through my first glass and ate my meal I let my good eye wander around the table- taking in all the princes and princesses who's fate was being decided. I was clearly the oldest. Of the princes- and unnervingly so, the princesses were all much younger then I. I had no intentions of bedding a young maiden, I wasn't a barbarian.

“Aris and Jackson will be paired.” One of the kings said- much louder then necessary, and them both react, not with displeasure, more just surprise- Princess Aris was certainly a comely girl, and it seemed to be a good match politically. 

"Consequently," The king went on, looking both pained and horrified, and I think I knew why. "I think it would be in the best interest of all the kingdoms....for Rosemary and Briac to be paired." 

I saw my fathers momentary look of surprise and I'm sure my face mirrored his expression...Harrow? The blood-feud between our kingdoms went back even further then the great war- was this man serious? Was he insane? Harrow? Then I looked at the girl and felt sick- she looked to be the same age as my sister- was her father seriously suggesting a union? Between me, a man, and she? A child? I fixed my gaze on my cup.

A strangled sound came from Prince Jackson and he banged his fists into the table as he stood- shaking, looking down at his sister I could see even stronger feelings of horror then what were in his fathers eyes.

"Rosemary, get up." I heard him say- eyes still fixed on my cup, some hushed words I couldn't make out were then said, and then I got the creeping sensation that someone was looking at me. I glanced up and met two pairs of silver eyes- one of them the Prince's and the other the little Princess. Prince Jackson's eyes were obviously on my scars and my missing arm- the Princess though was looking at me. Not the scars at myself. 

Prince Jackson soon slumped back into his chair looking utterly broken and my heart went out to him. My feelings mirrored his when it came to Cecily.

Princess Rosemary continued to look at me, her intense silver eyes never leaving my face, the length of her look was uncomfortable- and to my shame I felt my cheeks heating up- oh gods not now.... Please don't blush now.... But it was no use- I knew I was blushing and to save any manliness I had left I looked at my place- but I could still feel her watching.

August and Saja, then." the King of Draconia said in the insuring uncomfortable pause.

"My friends," My father interrupted, "while it flatters myself, my wife and our children you think so much of them- May I remind you, you need to have our blessing as well?” The kings all seemed to stiffen, my Father continued, “I- and I believe I speak for my queen as well- heartily welcome a union with Harrow- this blood feud has claimed to many young lives and it needs to end.” He smiled warmly at the king, his queen and even managed a wink at the Princess, “I believe I can promise your daughter a good husband in my son.” I felt my blush grow even hotter and wished the floor would swallow me. 

Put me in a pitch battle, send me into a dragons lair but God father don't make me the center of attention!