Aris, Princess of Yililia

The creature staring back from the mirror was unrecognizable. Her fiery hair was swept back and clasped with a seashell comb. Large, confident green eyes, ringed with charcoal eyeliner, shone and sparkled mischievously. Elongated eyelashes fluttered like a silk robe left out in the wind to dry. Graceful cheekbones, regal nose, pale skin, and lips accentuated with a hint of red. A shimmering green gown adorned her curvy frame. In the smooth glass there was a girl that gave the aura of courage, boldness, and bravery. But inside, there was a pitiful fifteen-year-old unready to find her place in the world. However, she looked like she was prepared, and that gave her just enough courage to move on. 

As soon as the massive doors were opened, Aris saw that the ballroom was filled with people dancing, talking, eating, and laughing. The room itself was large, spacious, and decorated with precious metals. Windows as tall as the roof had their curtains drawn back, letting the full moon’s light waft in gently. The smells were of hot, roasted pheasant, smoked fish arranged on silver platters, and baskets of steamy bread. Brightly dresses courtiers announced them, the Yililian Royal Family, as Aris curtsied to the crowd who paused to glance in their direction. August bowed deeply beside her, bending at the waist. 

Aris moved toward where a few of the other prince and princesses were gathered, chatting quietly. She stepped timidly into the cluster, noting that Jackson had just arrived and was making his way towards the group. Aris steeled herself and felt confidence rising inside her, along with a quiet, nervous flutter.