Rosemary, Princess of Harrow

A shattering scream echoed through the hall and made its way into my room, causing me to wake with a start. The screams ended, and I was left in the eerily quiet darkness. With a hesitant breath, I peeled the comforter away and swung my legs over the side of my bed. The cold floor stung my feet, so I ran quickly over to Jackson's bed and flopped onto it.

Silver eyes opened to look at me, and Jackson gave a tired groan as he flung off the blankets. With a grin, I climbed over to him and settled myself beside him.

"Did you hear the-"

"Yes." Jackson said sleepily, wrapping an arm around me, "Now go to sleep. Big day tomorrow."

His silver eyes disappeared as he went back to sleep, his breathing quickly falling into a slow rhythm. 

Pressing my head against his chest I listened to his heart beat, moving my icy feet against him to soak up his warmth.

Closing my eyes, I whispered, "I love you, brother."

"Love you too, Rosemary." He mumbled. Guess he hadn't fallen asleep. 

Smiling to myself, I whispered a "thank you," and went to sleep.

***

My eyes fluttered open as I felt the sun shining. Rubbing my eyes, I climbed out of Jackson's bed and stumbled towards the window. Peeking through the heavy drapes I saw the sun beginning to rise, shining upon the green land.

Beaming, I dashed over to my trunk of clothing and threw it open, tearing off my night gown and dropping it to the floor. I replaced it with a plain green dress and hurriedly tied up the back. Sliding my feet into my shoes, I tied a black cloak around my neck and rushed outside. 

My smile grew as I walked through the grass, and I couldn't help but kick off my shoes and run. As I ran, I came across a stable. Curiosity got to me, and I ran over to it. Pulling open the large wooden door, I entered. Inside were horses of every color, all of which turned to look at the person who interrupted their sleep.

Breathing a sigh of content, I approached one of the horses and placed a hand on its nose.

"Between you and me," I whispered to the beautiful creature, "I've never actually been near a horse."

"Wuh...what are you doing here?" A voice said, causing me to jump and hide my hands behind my back. Standing in the entrance of the stable was Briac.

My breath caught in my throat, and I replied, "Just....talking to the horse." I prayed he hadn't heard what I said to it, "What are you doing here?"

"....this is my stable." He said hesitantly.

Heat rushed to my cheeks in a blush, and I looked to the ground at my grass stained bare feet, embarrassed, "I....I'm sorry....I didn't mean....I just...." He walked closer to me, now standing right in front of me, and I looked up at him as he stared down at me.

"It's just," I said, watching his eyes carefully for any emotion, "I....I've never....touched one before. We don't have horses in Harrow."

His brow furrowed in confusion, and he questioned, "...why would you apologize for that?"

Biting down on my bottom lip, I replied, "I don't want to make you angry with me, especially before we're...." His puppy-like eyes blinked sweetly at me, causing me to stop for a moment before finished, "before we're married and....everything."

Confusion crossed his face and he searched my eyes. As his mouth opened to respond, I whispered, "We aren't supposed to be alone, you know."