Rosemary, Princess of Harrow

I gentley placed a hand on the horse's neck where Briac had his just moments ago. Briac stood next to me and began to brush Tempest.

I watched him groom the large creature until something caught my eye and I questioned, "Briac, what happened to your arm?"

He stopped brushing the horse and looked at me with startled, suddenly saddened eyes. I stared up at him, and grabbed the cloth of his shirt on his right arm.

"Your sleeve is all....torn up." I clarified, giving him a questioning look. Why did he give me such a look?

His face changed, and he stared at me dumbfoundedly, "It....it's just.....I'm not really sure, actually. Most of my clothes have rips and tears, Milady."

I let go of his shirt and turned back to the horse, suddenly frustrated and muttered, "My name is Rosie."

"What?" Briac asked, either not hearing the first time or checking to see if that was what I had said, looking down at me . I figured out why he looked at me like that.

"My name is Rosie or Rosemary. And I'm not six years old, so stop looking at me like I'm a toddler. Please call me by my name and treat me with some inkling of acknowledgment to my true age."

I felt him staring at me, and turned to look him in the eye.

"I'm not afraid of you, Briac." I said boldly. I don't know what came over me, but the way he looked at me had annoyed me to no end. He looked at me as if I would break if he touched me, as if he expected me to fear him. But now he just stood there, looking as if he had no words.

Seeing the gentle giant stand there like that made me sorry for reprimanding him, actually a bit guilty. He hadn't meant to. Everyone looks at me like that except my brothers......well, brother.

I felt my face soften, and I bit back down on my lip in contemplation. Stretching my arms out I quickly wrapped the bear of a man in a hug. Shock was evident throughout his entire body, so I let go and went back to petting the beautiful horse.

"So," I asked, wrapping my fingers in the horse's mane, "will you teach me to ride one?"