Briac, Prince of Bryni

My cheeks were on fire

Gods above have mercy.... I offended her. I have barely met the girl and I have offended her!

I wished the floor would swallow me, that I would be struck down with heavens force- something then face the anger in the two silver eyes looking up at me- she made me feel the worst of villains for thinking of her as a child.... I was the little boy who was caught red handed in the cookie jar- I inwardly groaned.

This was it. I ruined any possible chances of a good start to our relationship... as usual my lack of social graces had doomed me.

"I'm not afraid of you, Briac." She said, silver eyes accusing me- I felt even guiltier. 

“I'm sorry...” I breathed, but she didn't hear me- she just stood there looking at me angrily? Upset? Hurt? I couldn't' tell which one- take your pick they were all bad.

I was about to go when all of a sudden she stepped forward and hugged me- her tiny arms barely fit around my middle but there she was embracing me- face against my chest. I was too astounded to do much for a second, I went rigid, then I welt myself tremble slightly- I swear she almost nuzzled me and that's when my cheeks caught fire- Oh my GODS. 

She must have sensed my discomfiture because she only held on for a moment longer before going back to petting Tempest. I stared at her- she was a puzzle, she was so young, yet didn't seem afraid of any of this... I myself was scared out of my mind. She didn't stare at my scars, though she was obviously curious....I couldn't figure her out.

She pet tempest gently- tangling her fingers in his mane. My big war Stallion seemed to enjoy it- snuffling her face- nosing her hand- social butterfly that he is.

“So,” Rosemary's voice bought me out of my thoughts, “Will you teach me to ride one?” I only managed a nod, “Soon?” Again I nodded, she frowned, “Well say something.” I gulped,

“I-I'll teach you....” she blinked,

“you already agreed to that- I meant say something else.” Gods why was she torturing me? 

“D-do you w-want to start n-now?” I murmured softly- cursing my stuttering tongue. She suddenly looked unsure and turned back to the horse.

“I don't think it would be proper... You and I....Alone.....”

“I w-won't h-hurt you Princess.... I swear.” She shrugged still looking unsure- I had to mend this, I needed to at least try to fix my mistakes with her.

Galvanized into action I got Tempest's well worn saddle and bridle from their hook on the wall and brought them over- I could saddle my horse blindfolded so he was tacked up and eager for a ride within moments. All this time Rosemary watched me- her strange eyes seeming to try to take all my movements in- tightening the girth, slipping the bit into Tempest's mouth- all the little subconscious checks I did while tacking up my horse. I lead him out of the cross ties and into the Stable-yard- the cocks in the eastern barn just beginning to stir and test out their calls, the cows were lowing in their paddocks and I was just able to make out the distant smell of the kitchen fires being stirred up. I beckoned to Rosemary. 

“Come h-here.” She followed me out and stood beside me. “Th-the best w-way to l-learn it to just ride... M-most of us were on the back of a h-horse before w-w-we could walk.” She nodded- not sure what I was getting at. Sighing I just gave up explaining- words were never my strong suit.

Placing my hands onto her small waist I lifted her up onto Tempest's strong back and swung up into the saddle- the girl before me. She gasps, body going rigid.

“It's alright, I-I-I just want you to know what being on a horse feels like.... we won't go far.” I waited for her reaction- suddenly painfully aware at how right she felt in my arms.