Briac, Prince of Bryni

"You," I laughed, "Act as if you haven't thought such things, yet I've heard the way the people in your castle speak. They're not nearly as reserved with their thoughts as you, Briac. Besides, everyone knows it's to happen." I colored and looked away- it was true, my people were not so reserved as the other kingdoms- we were blunt and to the point.... I was blunt and to the point- except with Rosie, my coarse speech seemed to out of place around her- like my words would hurt her if I wasn't careful. I reached up- tucking lock of her hair behind her ear.\

"Won't you share how you feel, hmm?" She almost purred at me and I felt those same wicked thoughts creep into my mind- 

Show her? oh I'd show her, on our wedding night.... I'd show her all night long.

Shaking myself hard for such god awful thoughts I quickly rolled over and put Rose under me- her body pressed so close with her on top was doing strange and unwelcome things to mine- and being on top I could put some distance between her and me.

“If...” then I corrected myself, “When that happens it will not be out of obligation Rosemary” I looked to make sure her brother wasn't looking then I leaned down for a kiss- sunshine. She tasted and felt like sunshine. 

Relishing in the soft pressure of her lips on mine, her small hands tangled in my curls, I was stricken when she pulled back giggling, I raised an eyebrow- was I kissing her incorrectly? Did they do it differently in her kingdom? The thought of her kissing another man smote at my heart and I pushed the thought away- Rosie was mine, no one else could have her.

"Do you often eat sweets, Briac?" So startled was I that just stared at her for a long moment.

“Eh?” 

“Do you eat many sweets?” What an odd question, how perceptive. 

“A-aye, Yes I do.” My Accent particularly thick in my consternation. Rosemary giggled again- gods above that noise- it was like a brook released from winters ice. 

“ I was only asking because,” she paused and her eyes sparkled, “Because you taste like sugar.” I blinked- Sugar? . 

“I taste like sugar?” 

“Warm sugar- like the kind on cookies fresh from the oven or fruit crisps,” she nodded clarifying, then shyly looked away, “Wh-what do I taste like?” 

I leaned down- nose softly touching the sensitive spot behind her ear, 

“You taste like Sunshine Rosemary, like honey and a thousand bright clear days rolled into one.” She stared up at me- eyes wide.

“Briac....” she breathed, seemingly astounded. 

“What?” was it because of what I had said? I know I am a soldier but I can string some nice words together... Rosie was grinning up at me like the cat that ate the songbird,

“you didn't stutter just then.”

“Eh?”

“you just said a lot of words and you didn't stutter!” Well I''ll be damned... she was right. Slowly I smiled down at her,

“So it seems, I guess.... I guess I'm comfortable around you.” she beamed up at me. “Rosemary- you have a beautiful sm-smile.” I deflated- but she laughed.

“Almost comfortable.” She said sitting up up- shaking the flowers from her long hair, she looked all the more like a nymph-showering petals and giggling. I stood up and helped her to her feet.

“Aye- a-almost. But.... I have a surprise for you.”

“What is it?” I took her hand in my own and hoping her brother didn't notice walked her towards the stables” I-I have a very special gift for you.” 

Walking into the stables I took a deep breath, the musty smell of hay and horse was always a comforting smell. My boots crunched on the straw on the floor – forty horses turning in their stalls to look. I went to my great horse Tempest- and the smaller gray mare I had been training for several years now. Rosie- already comfortable around Tempest looked at the mare with a smile,

“Briac- is this... is she.”

“Yes, she's for you. She's always been yours.” I blushed petting the gray mares soft forelock, “Its tradition in Bryni, that a man prepares a horse for his bride to be, a gift from him to her, Horses are our brothers and sisters in my land. They are a extension of our soul. Tempest has been my best friend since boyhood, H-he's been in battle with me, protected me and guided me for many years, he is my brother.” I took a deep breath- hoping Rosemary understood this tradition, how sacred to me it was. “And I hope Tilly can be like this for you. I have spent almost five years training her from filly till the time I was wed, she is gentle and kind, and wise beyond her years- she will bare you safely.” I colored, “As she and Tempests foals will bare our own little ones.”