Saja, Princess of Draconia

I felt a tear slide down my cheek and wiped at it quickly, hoping that neither of my parents had seen it. I had to stay strong - I knew this couldn't have been an easy decision for them to make. To give their only daughter, their only child at that, to a strange man from a country we have been at war with...I don't know if I could ever make that decision for my children.

I looked up to see my father's eyes watering, and he whispered quietly, "I'm sorry, Saja."

Shaking my head, I reached for my notepad on the small bedside table and scrawled, It's okay, father, really. I know you're just doing what you think is best, and I will do the same. I trust you.

He gave me a sad smile, and I turned to face my mother who was sitting on my other side.

"I love you," I said, though as usual no sound came out - I merely looked like I was mouthing the words.

Turning back to my notepad, I wrote quickly, Do you think I could be alone for a bit? I just need to think.

"Of course, dear. Whatever you wish." My mother said with a forced smile before standing up and planting a kiss on my forehead.

The moment my parents closed the door behind them, I finally let the tears escape their prison and they came rolling down. I said I would do this for the good of my country and my family, and I would, but I was still terrified. I was barely of marrying age! I thought I would have years beyond this! And what of the man I was to marry? What if he was cold and heartless, or what if he didn't think I was good enough for him? What if we hated each other?

Taking a deep breath, I tried to compose myself and my thoughts. Exhaling heavily, I decided one last thing - what if we didn't hate each other? What if we ended up loving each other?