Briac, Prince of Bryni

I sat in the council listening to everyone say their piece on whether or not we princes would marry the princesses intend for us. I listened quietly- picking a scab on my arm, and trying my best not to meet Jackson's eyes- even though I could feel them on me. 

"Are you saying I should hand my daughter over to Prince Short Temper over there? He just tried to kill someone before our very eyes!" The Yillian king shouted angrily- I glanced up at the man- didn't he know why?

Prince Jackson stood quickly- eyes showing a thousand different emotions at once.

"Please, I beg you all to forgive me. Though what I did is unforgivable it was powered by something that you could never understand until you watch someone you love, someone you look up to lose their life. “ 

I understood that. I had watched dozens of friends, cousins, lose their life on an enemy's sword. 

“It is no excuse, I know, but my sister's kind heart helped me realize my wrong-doings. You see....she didn't give forgiving Briac a second thought, she understood and forgave him because that's who she is, though I have my suspicions that she forgave him before she even knew it was him. But I assure you that what I did is entirely out of character and I would never harm Aris nor anyone else." 

I believed him, I looked up at Jackson and met his eyes, I could see in them plainly the hurt, the hate, anger- and something else... He slowly offered his hand and I quickly stood and grasped it, shaking it heartily- and hoping this was the right thing... We Bryni don't often shake hands though I had seen other men do it 

"I hope you and my sister will be very happy together, brother." I was lost for words, He may have Idolized his brother- but in my eyes Jackson was ten times the honorable warrior his dead brother had been. 

"I still feel uneasy about this...” my father said, glancing at the slight form of Prince Rhay. And I understood his feeling. Rhay wasn't the kind of man either of us envisioned Rayven being bound to. He wasn't a warrior- he didn't even seem to be a man yet with peach-fuzz on his upper lip- did the boy even need to shave?

"Darling, leave it be. Let them wed. The boy apologized, and look at our son. When is the last time you've seen him so happy? I'll tell you, I haven't seen it in years." I looked at my Mother- how perceptive she was, even more so then me. Had I realized I was unhappy before I met Rosie?

The Draconian king spoke next- speaking of his little daughter- she was the youngest of the princesses, I remember my mother speaking of her earlier in the weeks leading up to the ball saying she was only a child- and my mother wondering if she even was capable of baring children at her tender age. I glanced at Prince August- he seemed a honorable man, he looked like a dark haired Bryni Lance and I had heard about his prowess in battle.

"I have to agree with you." The king of Draconia said "Our darling Saja has never been happier. And perhaps I shouldn't say this, but earlier I caught her dancing about her room, smiling, happy, and it broke her heart when I told her she may not marry August." 

I wondered- had Rosie been that happy? Was she looking forward to marry me? 

"Wouldn't we simply be doing more harm than good by calling it off?" Prince August ventured to say, looking at the patents in the room. 

Slowly I stood- shuffling uncomfortably- I did not like speaking to groups outside of a battle field- but If I didn't. I might Lose Rosie and that I couldn't allow. Taking a deep breath I began,

“"You know, it's quite different, what you expect and what happens. As August said, I'm sure none of us were thrilled to be matched with strangers, and girls several years younger than us as well. But, in theory we all agreed to save our countries from war. But then we all met, and how can you face the person you know you are to marry....then have them taken away from you?” Then I met the eyes of the Harrow King and queen-of Rosies Father and Mother. “if all of the blood alliances do not stay intact....I think I should still like to marry Rosemary. And that's the difference between theory and reality." Then I stopped and shook my head, “No- I don't think, I know. I want to Marry Rosemary.” I held their eyes until I heard Jackson speak.

"And I Aris.”

"As would I with Saja." There was a long silence.

A long low chuckle broke the awkward silence and we all looked at the Harrow king,

"Who ever thought it would be a good idea to put us in a room with four future kings?" I had to smile at this, and my father outright guffawed- banging his hand on the table, 

"Well, I believe I speak for us all when I say our sons will be great kings one day with our daughters by their sides." With that, this council seemed to be over- our parents stood and milled about- shaking hands and talking of the unions- blushing to my ears I heard my mother loudly remark how she thought Rosie and I would have beautiful children, I didn't stay to hear my fathers reply to that- I loved my father dearly but he never could temper his remarks for mixed company. Bryni is a very blunt kingdom but I know the others think talking of those sorts of things- improper. I hurried from the room- heading back to my own- to Rosie. 

I found her where I had left her- in my sitting room. She was wandering about- looking at all my things in the room. I stood in the doorway and watched her- wondering what she was thinking as she touched every one of my little nicknacks on the shelf, Wondering if she would want to share these rooms with me. I know in other kingdoms the royal couples do not share a room, a bed. Here in Bryni though- we do. My eyes followed her about the room- smiling softly- she belonged here, she belonged with me.