Briac, Prince of Bryni

"Briac, do you think you could love me?" Rosemary's question caught me completely off guard and I nearly choked on my ale, the sweet beer turning sour in my mouth. SHe looked up at me sweetly, intently. I set my tankard down on the nearest table- mind whirring to try to come up with an answer.

"Wh-what? Rosemary, I've only just me-" She held up a delicate hand and I fell silent.

"I'm not asking if you love me right now, what kind of question would that be? It's just....I'm sixteen years old. Even if it weren't for the arranged marriages I would still be marrying within a few years. The only difference would be that he probably would love me before we got married. I just want to know if you think you maybe could, maybe some time after we're married?"

And for the love of God I couldn't answer her. my tongue tied itself in knots in my mouth no matter how I struggled to get the words out, struggled to say "Yes Rosemary, I could love you in time. you're a wonderful, sweet and beautiful young woman." but once again like always my thoughts and my mouth betrayed me and I couldn't answer her how I wanted. only dumbly stammered,

"I-I-It-It's been a day..." She looked momentarily stricken, I could clearly see the pain behind her eye and my heart sank- I had ruined it again... Why couldn't I just SAY what I was thinking?! Why did my tongue have to betray me time and time again? I looked at her sadly and offered my hand- trying to think of something reassuring to say, anything, something! "R-R-Rosemary...." I stuttered- cursing my childhood affliction for rearing it's ugly head so forcefully. She looked up at me, her delicate features so sweet. I struggled on. "I-It's-It's only B-b-b-been a D-Da-Day." I swallowed hard forcing out the last words, "B-b-but I-I-I, th-thin-think I C-c-could." My cheeks were on fire as I finished- I couldnt met her eyes- what would she think of me now? Stuttering like a Village Idiot..... Or Rather, like a scared child.