Rosemary, Princess of Harrow

I shyly pulled Briac's tunic over my head to cover myself, the size of the shirt drowning me. Carrying the wash basin and medical supplies, he motioned for me to sit on the foot stool. As he set down the basin I contemplated telling him of the one I smashed, but couldn't muster the courage. 

He quietly set out the supplies, so I let my eyes wander about his room...would we share this room, I wondered? This room, this space, this...bed? Or would that be labeled as improper, the two of us sharing a room? I hadn't a clue - what if it was different in Bryni than it was in Harrow?

"Let me s-s-see your a-arms.” He directed, distracting me from my thoughts. I stuck my arms out for him to see, but when his eyes darkened I instantly regretted it, having forgotten they were only in such shape because he pushed me out of the way. 

“I-I-I'm so s-s-s-sory Rosie.” He stammered, taking my arms to wash them. 

“It's alright Briac.” she said smiling, trying to keep myself from flinching from the stinging in my arms, “you were trying to protect me.” 

He simply nodded, pulling a few bits of glass from my arm.

“Yes, but I-i-in D-doing s-so I h-hurt you.” He argued , “Th-that is not p-p-protecting.... I c-caused you more h-hurt.” 

Shrugging, I pointed out, "But you were trying to, that's as good as protecting.” 

He quit arguing as it was obvious we were both set on our opinions, and instead he ripped up the bandages into thinner strips and began to bind my arms. I could se his hands shaking, taking great effort to be careful. As he wrapped my arms I saw him smile to himself, to his own thoughts I suppose, and I couldn't help but smile at him. He blinked a few times and shook his head, his smile disappearing. What had he been thinking about?

“Ro-rosemary...” He started, hindering me from giving his thoughts any thought of my own, “D-do, you th-th-think you could be h-happy h-here? W-with me?” 

I felt my eyes widen, caught off guard. I had given thought to loving him but never to loving Bryni. Was there a difference, though? Did it matter of I loved him? Yet I would be so out of place here, a dark skinned dark haired silver eyed girl from the desert who knew nothing of horses and had just seen grass for the first time. I knew nothing of how Bryni royals were to act, nor Bryni couples. And how would I raise Brynian children? I knew nothing of that, either. The thought of having children with Briac caused a blush to rise on my cheeks, and I quickly dismissed the thought. 

“I-I-I think so...why?” I finally replied, shocked at the sound of my own voice stuttering. 

He reached his hand up to framed my face, tracing his fingers across in exploration.

“Because, I-I want you t-to b-b-be mine.” He stammered, his response far from what I had expected, the thought that he wanted me so surprising me, elicting a gasp and my hands to gather his shirt.

“Briac....” I whispered softly, at a complete loss of words and ability to move. 

Surprising me yet again that night, he guided my face to his and placed a kiss on my lips. I responded without another thought, his hand lacing through my hair as he lifted me to stand with him and pulled me close to him.

I wrapped my arms around his neck, taking in the smell of the outdoors I had spent my entire life longing for, drinking in the sweetness of his kisses and the taste of warm sugar his lips posessed. I found myself wanting to be closer to him, to feel his skin....but with a sudden knock on his door we found ourselves out of breath. 

I bit down nervously on my lip, then whispered, "It's probably for the best."

We stared at each other for a moment, searching each other's eyes until there was another knock and a call, "Prince Briac? May I come in? I see your light on. There's an urgent meeting in the library with the Kings and Princes."

"Alright, I'll be there in a moment." He called back, and we quietly listened as the intruder's footsteps dwindled. 

Smiling, I giggled, "You, sir, are going to get us in trouble."

"Y-you've already g-gotten me into trouble it s-seems." He teased with a smirk, his eyes dancing. 

I erupted with laughter, only to have his hand pressed against my mouth, "Sssh, everyone i-is awake n-now."

I released my arms from his neck, realizing I had been on my tiptoes and he hunched over. Taking his hand from my mouth, "What an odd match we are, don't you think?"

He smiled, but said solemnly, "I'm a-afraid I have t-to g-go, Rosemary."

I nodded slowly, looking at the floor as he headed for the door. 

"Briac," I called after him, "Would you like me to wait here for you? I'd rather like to hear what has to be said." Once it was out of my mouth I was shocked at my own boldness. Had I really just said that?

"Y-your f-family will be l-looking for y-you." I said, facing the door. 

"But Briac...." I said sheepishly, "I don't know how to get back to my room."