Aris, Princess of Yililia

My vision narrowed to a pinprick, sizing up the miniscule target painted onto the tree. I drew back the string, raising the bow into a perfect stance. Twang! Bull's-eye!

I grinned, repeating the motion's again and again, perfecting my skills. No one knew about my secret skill, not even my family. Of course, any Queen would be horrified to know that her seemingly prim and proper princess was off in the muck and grime of the forest, honing her archery skills. But I did not care what her mother thought; archery was my passion, and I would practice no matter what.

The soft green hem of my dress dragged along the ground as I sprinted back towards the palace; it was late and I was soon expected for a flute lesson, another one of my hobbies. The enchanting sounds wafted out of my window and over the sea, eerily calling the salty waves to wash ever nearer.

The palace appeared, right on the edge of the sea. I raced up a small flight of stairs that ran outside the castle's white-washed walls. The staircase ended at a knotty wooden door, one that the servants used. Above the door were hidden handholds that rose directly up to her window looking onto the sea. I hiked my dress up to my knees and pulled myself up the door and onto the small ledge. I could climb just as well as my brother, maybe even better. Hand and foothold were staggered in symmetrical patterns where the bricks were slightly tilted in the structure. Griping my window sill tightly, knuckles white, I heaved myself up and over the final ledge, tumbling onto the floor.

Thump! Thump! Thump! It was the ominous sound of my music teachers' footsteps echoing up the curved staircase. I glanced down at her dress. The hem was filthy and torn. If the music teacher saw my ruined dress, she would know the princess had been somewhere she shouldn't have been. I threw the dirty dress off and slung it into an obscure corner, frantically pulling an ocean blue frock over my head of long red curls. Un-tucking my hair, I slipped on sandals and laced up the front of my dress. The music teacher burst into the room just as I finished. I smiled sweetly, crinkling my nose slightly.

Reaching for the silver flute that lay on her dressing table, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I almost looked grown-up, not like the innocent child I used to be. My red hair flamed courageously and grey eyes held pools of wisdom. A curvy figure symbolized adult-hood was rearing its head. I smiled as I recognized the young woman I was growing into. 

The music teacher taught me new song, a slow entrancing number that filled my whole world with the quiet melodies of harmless whispers. It rang clearly, bouncing off the walls and echoing down the spiral staircase so I could not hear the sound of a servant's footsteps coming closer. The door squeaked open, and I paused in my song, listening to what the servant had to say. "Your presence is required in the court room."

The music teacher grouchily agreed that I had to go, but made me promise to practice for an extra hour that night. I hurriedly agreed and zipped out the door in a very un-lady like fashion, swirling down the spiral railing on the staircase. Skipping into the courtroom, I found it full of court dignitaries, lords and nobleman, and the royal family. I daintily walked to where her brother, August, was standing. He nodded hello as I stood beside him. They had no time for a conversation because the king had begun to speak.

"As you all know, the war with the other Kingdoms has recently ended in a truce. We signed a treaty with the other kingdoms, promising to never go to war again. However, this treaty will not stand as it is. We must seal it with blood." People in the room gasped and I felt my own face pale, realizing what that meant. "If the royal families marry into each other, no kingdom will attack another, fearing they will hurt their own flesh and blood. There will be a ball in Bryni where the Kings and Queens of the Kingdoms will arrange marriages between the kingdom's future heirs." 

The King continued speaking, but I heard nothing of what else was said. Only a dull ringing in my ears as I realized what he meant. It meant my future was set in stone. I, being the princess, would marry a foreign prince and live in his Kingdom for the rest of my life. 

I don't want to get married! I'm only sixteen! I thought to myself in a panic. My eyes widened as a terrifying thought entered my mind. I don't want to have kids! 

At that moment, I bolted from the room, not caring what anyone thought, tearing up the stair well to my room. 

Tears welled in my eyes as I locked my door from the inside and grabbed my flute, standing at my window facing the sea. Salty tears mingled with the ocean spray and haunting music as if it could erase everything she had just been told.