Chapter 41

"Thank you, Oksana, thank you so much. I was really worried about that, which is why I haven't used my magic very much."

"I am glad that I could help Rose. And I will charm as many of the rings that I can today, and I will do the others in the morning."

"Thank you again Oksana, we really appreciate this."

"Think nothing of it Rose you are trying to keep us all safe. It's the least that I can do to help." Roza just smiled at Oksana.

The next day after Paul got home from spending the night with one of his friends. Mark and Oksana came to the house and brought all the rings with them. Roza took Paul's ring and went to sit next to him on the sofa.

"Pasha, I need you to do something for me."

He nodded.

"I need for you to wear this ring at all times. Now, when it starts to get to tight you tell your mama and we will get you a new one. Once you get a little bit older if you don't like this one that I picked out for you. Then you can choose your own. If they don't have one that you like, then you can even design your own. Ok?"

"Do I even wear it when I take a bath auntie Roza?"

"Yes, Pasha, you need to wear it all the time. And try not to lose it, but if you do lose it, don't worry or get upset about it. Because we will just get you a new one ok?"

"Ok, auntie Roza. Can I ask you a question auntie Roza?"

She sat back on the couch and he crawled up to sit in her lap. What brought a smile to my face, was just how careful he was not to hit or disturb her stomach in any way. I imagine that he learned that because of Zoya and Sonja's pregnancy.

"Of course, you can, Pasha."

"Why do I have to wear a ring? Aren't rings just for girls?" We all chuckled quietly we didn't want to draw attention to ourselves and interrupt their discussion.

"No, Pasha, anyone can wear a ring if they want to. Have you seen your uncle Dimka's ring that I gave him?"

Paul nodded

"Well, I got your uncle Dimka that ring for a few reasons. The biggest and most important reason is because I love him more than anything or anyone else in the world except for your cousins." She told him as she ran her hand over her slightly larger baby bump.

"The second reason that I got him that ring, is because I wanted to help protect him..."

"But auntie Roza, uncle Dimka is a big boy you don't need to protect him."

"You are right again, your uncle Dimka is a big boy. But I love him enough to want and need to try to protect him."

"How can a ring protect him?" He asked, his voice and face filled with curiosity.

She smiled at him as she thought about how she could explain all of this to a six-year-old in a way that he would understand.

"Pasha, do you know what compulsion is?"

"Yes. At the academy they tell us that the moroi can use it to make someone do whatever they want them to. Ms. Ivanna said that the moroi can use compulsion but that they are not supposed to. But I don't understand why they are not supposed to. And why would they want to force someone to do something that they don't really want to do in the first place."

All of us sat there watching and listening to their conversation we wanted to see how she was going to explain all of this to him.

"Some moroi like to be able to force people to bend to their will, and they do it for varying reasons. Some because they are hateful and just like to control other people for the fun of it. Some do it because they know that the other person won't voluntarily do what they want them to. Do you have a moroi friend?"