Chapter 26

"Don't ever lie to her." I told the both of them.

"Not even to protect her?"

"No. If it's real true love, like I said it is worth no matter what you have to do to keep it. If you are ever lucky enough to find it, and she loves you back. Don't fight it, don't push her away, don't hurt her. And no matter what, don't let other people and their views come between the two of you. Don't ever think that your job is more important than she is."

"What do you mean?" Eddie asked.

I sighed and motioned for them to sit down, "well as I said, don't make my mistakes. I made all of those mistakes when I first met Roza or I should say when I thought I first met her. I fell hard and fast, it was like love at first sight kind of fast. And I saw her a week before we ever met. But I had been trained all of my life to put the moroi first. So, I was such an idiot that I hurt both Roza and myself by ignoring and lying about my feelings for her. Not only to myself but also to my soul mate, repeatedly. I'm not going to go into the details, but I finally came to my senses five months before we left campus."

"So, you think that two people should put away their duty to be together?" Mason asked again.

"If they are both dhampir they can do their jobs and still love each other. It won't always be easy, but then nothing worth having is ever easy. If the two people in question don't want to continue doing their jobs then that is something that they should discuss together. Never try to make decisions for your other half, that never turns out well. I know that first handed."

I saw Mishka nod in agreement again. I guess he'd tried to do that with Sonya, and it hadn't turned out the way that he'd wanted or expected it to either.

"What about children?"

I couldn't believe that I was having this talk with them. But I guess they didn't really have another older man that they could talk to about these kind of things.

Roza had already told me that both of the boys look up to me like an older brother. Which I have to admit felt nice. She's their little sister and I'm their older brother. That thought actually made my heart smile.

"Well, there are several options for children if you fall in love with another dhampir. One of those options being adoption, another being artificial insemination, another would be using a surrogate. As I said there are always options open to you."

"You sound like you've given this some serious thought." Mason said again.

"Yes, Roza and I talked a lot about our options when we decided that we wanted to have a family together but thought that we couldn't biologically have one."

"What if you fall for a moroi?" Eddie asked me tentatively.

"What about it? Does she feel the same way?"

"Yes, but we don't know what to do about it. She's afraid that our relationship will be looked down on. And that I will get into trouble just by being with her. She was afraid that whoever I got as a charge would forbid me from being with her. Because they wouldn't want their guardian in a relationship thinking that it could distract me, and put them in danger. I think that now that she knows that Rose is my charge that worry has been put to rest though."

"There are no laws saying that you can only be with certain people. If the two of you love each other then you have to figure out if you love each other enough to not care what others think of you."

Again, for a third time, I saw Mishka nod in agreement with me.

"And you both know that Roza would never try to keep you from finding love."