Chapter 31

Then | Anne-Marie

"My father wasn't in a good state. When he was a kid probably at the age of twelve. His father got married to another woman. Leaving his mother on the streets. She died of worries. After that, my father yelled to my step-grandmother. My grandfather kicked him and his sisters out. Saying they weren't his kids."I told him as he stared at me.

"He started to go to school without anyone's help, his older sister got married. He was left with his little sister. After college, he came to the U.S with a citizenship. And after college, his little sister got married. He came back to Afghanistan to marry my mother. He brought her here with a Visa and I guess he's just traumatized by his stepmother and grandfather kicking him out."I said sadly feeling in pain.

It hurts. That's my own father went through that way. That his family wasn't even a family. They were just torture.

"My half-uncles and aunts go on this chat and always show off what they have. Sometimes my father works day and night but they don't ask how he is. My mother told him to stop texting them. But he just doesn't listen. They never cared for us."I said and rubbed my eyes.

"My step-grandmother died two years ago. And everyone is after my grandfather's money. Once he dies. The money and land will be sent to them and my father won't get a penny for what he's done for them."I told him as I felt my blanket pulled up.

"But I'm not worried about the money. I'm just wondering why people are so worried about money but they don't think of the moment they are living. They forget that they are still alive and they should be happy about it. Sometimes people don't wake up after they sleep. They are lucky and they shouldn't worry about anything else."

"Sara?"I looked at Jin as he laid next to me.

"Your inspirational, you know that?"I stare at him as his hand was on his cheek and his elbow on my bed.

"How?"I asked him and he smiled at me but genuine.

"Because you speak the truth. You don't make it feel less of anything. It's what's more important than less important."I nod and cover my mouth to yawn.

"What would you do if someone was talking about you behind your back?" He asked me and I sighed.

"I would forgive them, even if they can't hear it from me. I would move on from it because what they are doing is actually bad. Talking behind someone's makes you feel guilty, and has a lot of negativity not just by you, but to the person if he or she heard it. Also, it causes problems. You shouldn't do it."I said as he laughed.

"We aren't created the same to live the same way. You shouldn't make fun of something, because you'll turn into something you laughed at. I'm not talking about you. But some other people."I closed my eyes and hear a clear of a throat.

"Do you say something before you go to sleep?"He asked me and I nod.

"Yes, I say a Dua. Which is meaning to 'call out' or to 'summon', and Muslims regard this as a profound act of worship. Also wanting to sleep in peace without a Jin?" I said and heard a cough.

"Are you talking about me? I mean I could leave--."I cut him off.

"No not you, the spirits or demons are called Jin's. And what you all call satan."I said looking at him with my eyes open.

"Oh, wait...I'm a demon?"

:::::::

"I fell asleep did I?"I asked him and he nods smiling looking at me.

"Well yeah. How come you're sleepy all the time?"He asked me as he looked at his phone.

"I...never mind,"I said and he looked up at me with a frown.

"No, tell me. I won't laugh."

"I have... I have hypersomnia which is a medical disorder."He stared at me confused then went on his phone.

"What the fuck was...what was the word again?"He asked and I gave a small smile.

"Hypersomnia."

He just searched it up and he slapped his phone. I do that too. When it doesn't work.

"Okay... so, do you have insomnia or like depression?"I quickly shook my head even though I know I was diagnosed with them.

"Have you gone to check it out? Therapy or something?"I gulped and looked at the window.

What's should I use an excuse? I swear I just feel uncomfortable talking about this. It triggers me.

"No. It's cold in here, can you see if the window is open?"I asked him and he nods checking.

"It's closed, but hey don't skip my question."I looked down and he sighed.

"If your uncomfortable about it then don't tell me."I shook my head and took a deep breath.

"I did, but I left last year since they didn't care about me. I have to go in a two weeks."I said as I felt him come closer.

"If you need someone to talk to, you know I'm here to help. You're not alone."I stare at his hazel eyes and he smiled.

"Y..yeah, thanks."I gulped as how close he was.

What's going on with me? Why am I allowing him to get close to me? Even touch me? Astagfirallah. I need help.

"Are you coming to school tomorrow?"I shook my head and bit my lip.

"I don't think so, my body still hurts,"I said and remembered something.

"I forgot to take my medicine!"

How could I forget? I'm so stupid. I swear I can't even remember the last time I threw my favorite shirt on the floor and couldn't find it. And I still can't find it.

"I'll get it for you. It's downstairs, right?"I nod and he got up to get out of my room.

I felt weird in my chest. Am I going to have a panic attack or am I going to die? What's going on?