Staying Beside Me

Maya Mendes
- one week later.

"Shawn go call amira down" I tell him. "Mum" Alec whispers. "Babe speak up" I chuckle.

"Maya honey" Shawn whispers. "What's with all the whispering?" I chuckle.

"Mama turn around" Aidan tells me. I put the spoon down turning to face my three boys. "What?" I chuckle sitting down.

"She's crying" Shawn begins. "Like crying. She locked the door" he says and my heart drops. "Did you say anything to her?" I look at them and they all shake their heads no.

"Maybe she's on her thing, you know women feel depressed and hide, it's called  premenstrual syndrome" Aidan says and I just look at him amazed. "You're so precious" I kiss his cheek.

"Mum!" He groans wiping his face. "Wait Amira, why is she crying?" I ask.

"I don't know" Alec shrugs. "Okay I'll go" I stand up. "Come on Shawn"

"Wait why do I have to come?" He asks standing up. "She's crying Shawn" I shake my head going to her room and he follows.

"Wait I'm scared. What if it's something bad?" I whisper to Shawn. "You got this. I'm right here" he kisses my forehead. "Here we go" I knock on the door.

"Amira baby, open the door" I tell her. "Give me a second" she says. Shawn takes my hand squeezing it gently. "She's okay peach" he reassures me and the door opens.

I walk in and sit beside her on her bed and Shawn sits beside me. "Are you hungry?" I ask her. She shakes her head no.

"Is it your friends?" I ask her. She brings up her hand to wipe her eyes. I look back at Shawn, I was about to start crying myself.

"Baby tell me what happened. Remember we're open, honest and respectful" I tell her taking her hand. I always told my children this, it's what Shawn and I lived by.

"you won't shout at me. Will you?" She asks me. I shake my head no wiping her tears. "Grace, my best friend slept with Ryan and erm we were gonna... you know" she says.

I grow confused, nodding at her to carry on. "She slept with him two days ago" She says gently.

"What's his name? I'll kill him" Shawn says. I grab his hand. "I know it seems like the worst thing right now but baby, in a few years it won't matter. This Ryan kid and grace are probably gonna be leading a bad life whilst you are out there being a beautiful, intelligent woman. You don't need a partner for a while" I tell her.

She looks up at me sighing. "Everyone is in a relationship though mum"

"But it doesn't matter. I didn't meet your dad till I was twenty two you know. He was my first serious boyfriend" I tell her. "I felt weird because it took me so long to find someone and I waited and I found something amazing. Mira honey, it's all okay" I pull her into me hugging her.

"Yeah it's stupid" she shakes her head hugging me. "It's not stupid. Just- you'll get over it" I kiss the top of her head.

"You okay baby?" Shawn asks her taking her hand. She nods hugging him then we go downstairs.

"Was it the premenstrual syndrome?" Aidan asks. I chuckle shaking my head no. "No" I tell him.

"You okay Mira?" Alec asks. She nods sitting down. Shawn looks at me sending me a wink as he takes my spare hand as I set up everyone's plates.

Amira looked at me smiling and I felt complete, my baby girl was happy.

-
"Stars are so pretty" Amira says. We were all laying on a huge blanket looking up at the stars. Shawn laying next to me, hand in mine.

"You know the moon landing was apparently fake" Aidan says. "The pictures don't make sense and I won't get into it, we'll be here all night" he chuckles.

"What do you wanna be Aidan?" I ask him. He was the quiet one for definite, I always had to ask him, he's never tell me. "I want be a psychiatrist" He replies.

"How do you know what that is?" Alec chuckles. "Alec what do you do?" Aidan asks.

"I'm an architect. I design buildings, my most recent was the home for Jaden Smith" he says proudly, most of Alec's customers had been introduced by Shawn which helped a lot for his career.

"And Mira?" Aridan asks. "I'm gonna be a lawyer. Three years in law school then I'll apply to Pearson and Pearson, top law firm in New York" she says confidently.

"What did you do mummy?" Aidan asks. "Well I was a journalist then I met your uncle jay, Romell and Rhys and convinced to become a YouTuber and a fashion blogger. Then I had you guys and stopped" I tell them. "Do you wanna go back? Still write?" Amira asks me.

"I've never thought about it. I haven't written anything since I was twenty three" I chuckle. "Mum you should make an app. Write blogs on their, I mean a lot of people know you and look up to you" Alec says.

"I don't know baby, I'm okay right now" I let out resting my head on Shawn's shoulder.

"Are the videos still up?" Alec asks. "Yep, go watch them" I chuckle as the three get up running inside.

Shawn pulls me towards him and I cuddle into his chest. "We have a good mix eh" he says.

"An architect who's brilliant at piano. A lawyer who's gentle yet powerful who can hit the high notes and a psychiatrist who's calm and collected and loves hockey." Shawn says, the proudness clear in his voice.

"They have all your good qualities Maya"

I look up at him wanting him to explain. "You're kind and gentle and so powerful. You're the woman I love" he presses his lips against mine. "I love you too" I place my cheek again his.

"Thank you Maya, for giving me these beautiful children"

I look into his green eyes that I've always loved. "Thank you for staying beside me" I smile up at him.