Like A Mad Man

Maya Mendes
- next morning

"You don't have to go today babe it's Saturday" I chuckle as Alec sits up on my stomach and Amira was cuddled into my side.

"Did daddy do sleepy?" She asks me. "I don't know love" I gulp. I didn't sleep all night, I heard crashing and banging downstairs and I was scared, scared because there was so much at stake, my marriage and my children.

"Can we have breakfast?" Alec asks. "Yeah, lets brush our teeth first" I tell them going to the bathroom. They both copy as I set them on the sink. They both make me so happy, amira was so gorgeous and full of light. Alec was my best friend, always smiling and giggling.

"Why won't the door open?" Alec asks. I turn the lock and he looks at me confused then ignores it slipping down the stairs. I was following closely and then I regretted not coming down stairs again.

"Go to the kitchen" I tell them pulling them back. "Is daddy dead?" Alec asks me.

"Don't say that. He's okay" my heart skips a beat when he looks up at me sadly. "Go he's okay" I kiss his cheek then Amiras, the two go to the kitchen.

I sigh picking up the pillows and papers, kicking the big bits of glass away till I got to Shawn. He was on the sofa, one leg hanging off and one hand loosely holding onto a bottle Hennessy.

I take his hand moving the bottle seeing his grazed knuckles. I close my eyes for a second then grab my phone texting Laurie.

"Shawn get up" I shake him gently. He mumbles something then opens his eyes.

"Maya" he croaks.

I felt so weird. He hit me last night and I should resent him and be scared but all I wanted to do was nurse back to health and hold him.

"Go shower" I stand up. He takes my hand stumbling as he got up. "Maya-"

"No, this is disgusting. Alec and Amira shouldn't have to see you like this, their own dad. You should be ashamed" I tug my hand back. "I'm sorry" he whimpers.

"Go" I tell him looking down. He sighs walking away. My eyes fill with tears but nothing comes out.

I got the kitchen seeing Alec peeling a banana for Amira. "Should we go to auntie Laurie's?" I ask them. Alec nods excitedly. "Come on then get your shoes on" I smile down at them.

I had no idea what I was doing.

-
"Come on babe" Laurie pulls me into a hug. "God Maya you look so shaken" she says.

"I'm okay" I mumble pulling back. "Go on loves, the kids are having breakfast in the living room" she tells the kids who go running off.

I sit with Laurie on the sofa and she hands me a cup of tea. "Where's Romell?" I ask her. "He's doing the shopping" she tells me.

"Maya, I've known you for a long time now. Tell me what happened" she says gently.

"I can't Laurie. I don't wanna say it" I put my cup down, I was so ready to cry but not in front of my babies.

"You don't want to say it because you don't want to believe it right?" She asks. I nod closing my eyes just to organise my thoughts.

"What did he do?" She asks.

"He erm- he just got aggressive" I admit. "Aggressive? Maya did he, did he hit you?"

I let out a few tears putting my head in my hands. Laurie pulls me into her arms sighing.

"How many times?"

"Just last night" I tell her. "Was he drunk?"

I wished he was but he was sober. He knew what he was doing. I shake my head no.

"Stay here as long as you want"

I nod looking over at Alec, he looked so much like Shawn. "I should talk to him. We always talk after fighting" I say.

"I can't let anything happen Laurie. The kids don't deserve it" I shake my head. "Neither do you Maya. Lord knows how much you love him, how much you'll do for him" Laurie's says taking hold of my hands. "I'll look after them and you go. If anything happens call Romell and he'll be over there straight away" she tells me.

"And what am I going to say?" I ask. I was lost.

"That's up to you Maya. You know Shawn like the back of your hand, you know his heart and mind. You know where his heart is. You'll know"

I nod wiping my cheeks. I get up slowly going to Alec and Amira. "Can you be good for me and stay with auntie Laurie?" I ask them.

"Can I come with you Mummy?" Alec asks. "Not right now baby. I need to go very quickly but you're big aren't you-"

"Like daddy" he grins. "Yeah like daddy" I nod. "So can you stay here and when I come back we can have ice cream and watch monsters inc" I tell them placing a hand on either of their cheeks.

"Boo!" Amira giggles. I smile kissing the top of her head. "I love you"

"I love you" She giggles. "I love you too mummy" Alec grins. I get up slowly thanking Laurie again.

I go home taking the longer route, just wanting to escape but eventually i made it home.

I unlocked the door taking three deep breathes I walk in seeing it all clean and Shawn was pacing back and forth like a mad man.

"Oh my god Maya" he rushes up to me. I close my eyes, bracing myself but he pulls me into a hug and I relax.

"I wasn't going to hurt you" he mumbles. I nod believing him and then I break down and burst into tears into my husbands arms.