35 - I Wonder What Could Have Happened If He Didn't Open the Door

Start from the beginning

As they stood waiting for the train, (Name) told Sousuke all about the day's events, how Haru had only written free in his form, how Haru had seemed unhappy after the principal told him about the scout, and Makoto's worry when he stayed behind to watch over his friend. She told him not to blame any of them because it was her choice to leave first and get to the cafe on her own.

Sousuke understood she meant well, but still..

He sighed, but he could not stay upset at her. Even when the decision she made was poor in his eyes, he knew she did it for what she considered to be the greater good. Nevertheless, he still wish she could be more selfish.

"And I'm guessing you haven't told anyone in Iwatobi yet.' not a question.

A brief silence ensued before (Name) replied "N-not yet."

The train finally came and slowed to a stop to let passengers in and out. They both entered side by side.

Despite the minute amount of people on the station, the train was packed enough that it left no space to sit, other than one chair. He gestured at (Name), letting her take a seat while he stood in front of her, gripping on the handholds which dangled from the poles on the roof of the train.

The doors soon shut and the train began moving, he watched (Name) silently.

"You look like you wanted to say something more before the train arrived," he said, his eyes never leaving her face.

She jolted in surprise. He noticed?

(Name) hesitated a bit, but nodded. "Do you also get those future plans form in Samezuka?"

He sighed, already expecting the question.

"I did."

(Name) perked up and their eyes met, the unspoken question hug in the air, awaiting his answer.

"I'm not sure, honestly," He chuckled lowly, "With my shoulder and all, I have no idea. I wanted to be an Olympic swimmer but, if.. If its not possible, then I'll go down the path of sports medicine. Maybe I can even be a coach."

"Coach Yamazaki," (Name) smiled, "I like the sound of that."

(Name) tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear and looked away.

Deep in her heart she wanted Sousuke to stop, to take a break, because that was logically the best thing he could do. However, after hearing his side of the story, his passion, his hopes and dreams...

She understood how he felt. Like him, even with an injured leg, she couldn't keep herself away from performing on stage. The fun and feelings she get from that stage is always worth it, as if she could for a while forget her injury, and even pretend it does not exist.

That is... Until the show is over. Before her leg healed this much, it would usually throbbed painfully after a concert, a reason why she took a break in the first place. Did he feel the same?

Before she realized it, the weight of her thoughts and the day's exhaustion had caught up to her, and her eyes started to droop, blinking slowly, sleepily. She decided to look out the window, at the scenery outside.

The train slowed to a stop at a station. There were still about seven
more station to get to her place. A lot of people got off on this station, leaving their carriage with more room, and the butterfly swimmer took the seat beside her.

Sousuke had spent a lot of time with her that day but he still felt like he couldn't get enough of her. Her home was still a few minutes walk away from her station but he felt as if he wasn't ready to part ways with her yet, even though they both have school tomorrow. The corners of his lips curled up slightly as he watched her yawn, her eyes glued to the window behind her as she watched the lights emanating from the houses that lined the view.