Chapter 17

Let Me Down Slowly | Alec Benjamin

I look up the ceiling and stare at the fan moving. I just put makeup around my bruises. And I'm sweating again.

I kept feeling the cool weather hit me. It was just chilly. It kept spinning and spinning, I almost thought my head was spinning.

I heard kids play around the neighborhood. I heard the garage door open. I think my father is leaving.

Honestly, I don't care anymore. I don't want to deal with him anymore. I think my mother left too. My brother went to my mother's friends sons place. They are both the same age.

It means I'm home alone. Again. Even though they hate it when I'm home alone because they think I might get abducted and I would gladly allow them to do so.

"Are you going to sleep the whole entire weekend?"I heard and turned my head to my door.

Ugh, speaking of him.

I want to be alone. I'm tired of everything already. I might as well pray in an hour. I just inshallah my prayers are answered.

I heard something creak behind me, including a thud. I watch as the shadow show a man. I closed my eyes and cover my arms.

"You have got to be kidding me."I heard him whisper under his breath.

Why is here anyway? Is he going to wake me up? Or hurt me? Either way, I'm worried someone might find out he's in my room.

I felt something tickle my nose and it was minty. Smelled like peppermint.

Seriously, I think it's just me. I haven't slept and I might be hallucinating. Yeah, I'm hallucinating. Let's go with that.

"You're beautiful up close."

I gulped and still left my eyes closed. What's he saying? I bet he's drunk. But isn't he supposed to smell like a drunk person, and not minty?

I open my eyes and saw his face close to mine. I gulped looking at his hazel eyes. His curly brown hair. I moved back with my eyes widen.

"What are you doing here? Why are you in my room?"I threw the questions out as he gulped rubbing his hand at the back of his neck.

"Uh, just want to wake you up."I hug the blankets around me and stare at him.

"Are...Are you home alone?"He asked which I nod and he smiled.

"Alright, I'm staying over!"I stare at him shocked and glared.

"No, don't."

"Why not? Maybe we could hang out since you can't?"I sighed and nodded my head.

"Can you get out at least? I have to change into less inappropriate clothes."I said as he laughed getting up.

"Yeah, sure."He said and stopped by the door."But I would love to see you--."

I threw a pillow at him, directly. He pouted and threw the pillow back.

"Fine!"

He closed the door and I ran to my closet to wear a sweater and sweats. I needed to change since I wore leggings and a loose sleeve t-shirt because of how warm it was last night.

I didn't know anyone would come over. I thought of just closing the door and closing the windows for some privacy. But I guess not.

I got out and walked down the stairs to see him making himself at him. Eating a bunch of popcorn and sitting on the couch scrolling through Netflix.

"Okay, So there is this new movie. I thought we could watch it."I looked at the screen on my way to the couch.

"And you seem to like watching romantic movies,"I said sitting with my legs on the couch far from him.

"Yeah. Why not? Is that because I'm a man or is that because what everyone else has been judging?"I shook my head and leaned my arm on the couch arm.

I watch whatever he put on and hear him eating whatever he's chewing on.

"Jin?"

"Yeah?"

"Would you care if I left?"I asked him as I laid my head on my arm.

"Where would you be going?"He asked and I smiled feeling the mood.

"Somewhere knowing I won't come back again."I looked at him as he stared at me confused.

"Okay..."

"I have to go pray, I'll be back,"I said and got up to see him humming.

::::::::

"Yah Allah please forgive me for all my sins. Please, Allah, help me through the right path and my happiness for others. Help me through my troubles. Just help me get away from all the negativity and away from the people that hurt me. Please save me."

I whisper as I cry on my only wish. I just want to get out of this place. I'm sick, I'm tired and it's making me crazy.

I packed up my prayer mat and into the closet. With my hijab. I wiped my tears and see my door closed. I sighed and grabbed a mirror to look at my chiwawa dark circles.

My scars from what's been created. My acne that's spreading from the stress. I start fixing again and putting makeup onto where my bruises were that have been washed from wadhu.

I opened the door and walked down the stairs to smell something fresh. I walked to the kitchen to see Jin by the stove.

"Oh, I was hungry. I'm making spaghetti if that's alright?"I shook my head with a small smile.

"No problem, you already made yourself at home. So why not?"I sat on the kitchen stool and looked at him.

He seems happy while he's cooking. I did smile because it's been a while to feel like someone cooking at home besides me. I missed that. A lot.

I heard the home phone ring all of a sudden which made me jump in shock. I went to it and see it's my aunt.

Me: "Salam Khala."

Jamila: "Salam sweetie, how are you?"

Me: "I'm alright, how are you?"

Jamila: "Good, I wanted to ask if you're coming over tomorrow. Your cousin Neila is having a birthday party."

Her birthday is tomorrow? And they are telling me last minute?

Me: "Khala...thank you for the offer but it would be best if I stay home."

Jamila: "I talked to your parents, they said it was alright and they have talked to you. They said you have told them yes."

What? They haven't told me anything about anyone yet. The only thing they've done was cause a fight!

Me: "oh...I forgot. I guess I'll come tomorrow then."

Jamila: "Just remember to wear Afghan clothes. It's the theme."

Me: "Oh alright, I'll see you tomorrow. Khudahfiz!"

Jamila: "Khudahfiz!"

I hang up and put it back at its spot. I wipe my tear and turned to put a fake smile.

"It's ready!"