36

Another couple of weeks passed by and Kageyama continued to follow May around and occasionally text her at random hours after she left practice.

Eventually one day during practice May noticed that Kageyama and Hinata weren't in the gym, and began looking for them.

She visited the club meeting room and saw them both trying to study.

She could see them both struggling, and she was pretty sure that she even saw a fuse blow out in Hinata.

She briefly considered helping them. Of course, there wasn't much she could do.

They were aware of her presence at this point, and that made it all the more complicated for Kageyama to try and work out the math problems we was staring at.

May leaned over Kageyama's shoulder and observed the page for a few seconds before carefully taking the pen from his hand and one of his spare pieces of notebook paper.

She wrote down a few example formulas for him to use as a reference point before putting the pen down and exiting, leaving Hinata to fend for himself.

Although Kageyama was grateful for her help, he was becoming more and more irritated by the fact that she treated him like an untouchable.

———

Night came by, and May was left to face her own feelings.

Left to confront something that she didn't understand.

It was raining heavily outside, and she could hear the occasional bumping of tree limbs hitting the roof. She tried to focus on that, to drown out her mind.

The drown out the yelling downstairs.

—————

The following afternoon at practice Kageyama stayed behind exceptionally late, and May decided to stick around too.

He hadn't been acting like himself at all the entire day. He'd been snapping more than usual, and even Maybumi had received a few harsh glares from him.

Of course, she assumed that whatever was bothering him wouldn't be such a big deal the next day, so she stuck around.

"Shit-" she heard him curse from upon the court. She briefly looked up, and saw the anger that he'd been trying to suppress all day finally beginning to bubble to the surface.

"What are you looking at!?" He growled when his eyes caught hers.

She obviously didn't give a response and just sighed deeply. Compared to most of her life, Kageyama's outbursts were nothing.

She half expected an apology, and half expected him to just say nothing at all.

But that's not what happened.

Not even close.