4

May was alone again.

Her mind was shrieking , but she tried to convince herself that she was immune to the voices.

One half of her mind was telling her how pathetic she was, and how incredibly idiotic she had to be in order to choose to help the volleyball team. The other half of her mind was screaming at the other half to shut up.

But the yells and crashes in the distance of her mind were very much real.

Her adoptive parents were arguing again, and it was just as bad as always. Maybumi could tell this by the  bellicose sounds of vases shattering against the wall, and then the familiar sound of her adoptive fathers hand coming across her adoptive mothers face.

Then the crying, and her father yelling.

And then the profuse apologizing coming from her mother. And then the yelling that came from her. And then the sound of her stumbling upstairs and slamming their bedroom door shut.

The sound of her father running after her and banging on the door and yelling profanities after it was locked.

And finally, after more screaming through the door, all was silent for a bit.

At least until her father apologized.

But May knew the truth.

She knew that the same thing would happen tomorrow, so she turned onto her side as the familiar plaints ease her to sleep.

———

"Nice receive!" Akane -Tanaka's soulmate- yelled to Tanaka as he received from Daichi who served during practice.

The boys were too caught up to notice Maybumi enter the gym late, and head straight for the locker rooms.

She changed quickly, and pulled down her sleeves repeatedly, exiting the locker room once she was done with one arm wrapped around her stomach and her head down.

She was going to sit down next to coach Ukai, but he told her to go help Kiyoko with the score board.

She slowly made her way over to Kiyoko and helped her keep track of the scores.

About midway through practice Ukai voiced a request for Maybumi, telling her to fill the water bottles for the boys and then go get the towels from the boys locker room.

She wasted no time getting away from the group of strangers, and quickly filled the water-bottles, setting them down in their box on the bench before heading into the boys locker room.

She expected it to smell sweaty and gross, but shockingly it smelled more like cologne.

It wasn't overwhelming, it was actually quite nice, but she mentally smacked herself for thinking that.

She looked around for the towels, not completely sure where Ukai had put them.

Suddenly, she heard the door open.

Her body tensed.

"Please... please don't talk to me." She thought as she began rushing.

She noticed the raven headed boy as he rummaged through his locker for something and identified him as Kageyama, the "genius setter" of Karasuno, or more commonly, "the king of the court".

She opted to look in the coaches desk room and there, she saw the towels stacked up on a plastic bin.

She grabbed them and was going to walk past Kageyama.

"Do you really not talk, or are you just rude?" He asked, not even bothering to look at her.

She stopped for a second and looked at him.

It was only then that he made eye contact with her, and noticed that her gaze was actually fixed above him, where his water bottle was on top of his locker.

He grabbed it, and May continued looking at him.

"What? Do you want something?" He huffed.

She didn't bat a lash as she grabbed the nozzle of his water bottle, taking it from his hand and walking past him.

He couldn't help but think that she was strange. Very strange. And rude above all.

But her hand came no where near his, she made a point for that.

A small part of her was intimidated by his constant scowl and his height, but she would never show anyone that she cared about anything.

She put the towels on the bench and went to fill Kageyama's water bottle, before putting it with the rest.