32

May had began hanging around Kageyama more often, and the boys took notice rather quickly.

She didn't do much, but whenever she didn't wanna talk to someone she simply hid behind him, and let his scowl scare them away.

She even would walk with him if she saw him in the hallway. Something about knowing that he was her soulmate made it harder for her to stay away from him.

She'd started receiving therapy and medications just after Yuki's death, and she was beginning to feel a bit better, so she rationalized that it was just the medication and therapy.

When the final cut for nationals rolled around May was in the stands, smiling at the boys when they looked at her reassurance, and she was always there to pass out water bottles to each of them.

She didn't cheer and yell in the stands, but she was there.

And that was enough to make the boys feel a bit better about their performance.

They knew that no matter what she was proud of them, even though she didn't speak.

Deep down she was hoping that by sheer luck they would make it, but she knew that they had a lot of improvement to go through before they'd make it to nationals.

So when they lost, she wasn't surprised.

She was still sympathetic, nonetheless, and offered soft smiles.

She hated the way they all were feeling, because she could feel it too.

She wandered outside after the boys had lost and just happened across Kageyama running his head under the faucet of the outside showers.

She stopped and stared at him, curious as to what exactly he was doing.

He could feel someone's eyes on him and turned off the water, turning around to face the assailant with a glare significantly more harsh than usual.

Instead of finding a stranger or a member of the team that beat them, he saw May, observing him from a few feet away with her eyebrows knitted together.

She noticed his eyes were a bit red, and she knew that he must've been crying like the rest of the boys.

In fact, she also knew that it wasn't above Kageyama to be embarrassed that he was the first to cry.

Her heart began to hurt for him.

And before she knew what she was doing she put one foot in front of the other and soon wrapped her arms around him.

She didn't make skin contact. She made sure of that.

Kageyama stood there, both hurt and stunned.