Chapter 40

The last day of school has finally arrived. The year had gone without accidents of any sort and we were organizing a ball for everyone - staff, students, parents: anyone that wanted to show up was invited.

So that morning when I woke up, the other side of the bed was empty and cold. Severus left earlier and I felt that morning incomplete without him. I got ready for the day and went to my classroom where the first year students were already waiting, excited for the last class of the year.

The day came to an end quickly and in the corridors, everyone was rushing to get ready in time for the party. So I did like everyone else and went back to my chambers, hoping to find Severus. But once again, he wasn't there.

Odd, I thought to myself. 

Either way, I got dressed, picking the red dress Minerva gave me at the beginning of everything, six years ago - When I danced with Severus for the first time. When I fell irrevocably and unconditionally in love with him. The memories of that first dance played on repeat on my mind as I watched me in the mirror. It seems like it was yesterday that Dumbledore found me and sent me the invitation letter and now I was actually sharing my chambers with the love of my life.

I couldn't help but smile.

The corridors were adorned with white and silver balloons, music was already reverberating through the walls and students were already chatting and having fun inside the great hall.

"You're here, Angel. We've been waiting for your arrival." Minerva greeted me with a hug and a smile. "Severus will begin his speech soon and he will open the dance floor with you."

"What?" I froze, looking disconcerted at her. He didn't ask me for that. In fact, I mostly don't know anything about the ball.

"Oh dear, it's not like it would be your first time." She smiled and lead to me the teachers' table and, once again, Severus was nowhere to be seen.

"You look rather beautiful today, my dear," Slughorn stated with a grin on his face.

"Thank you. You dressed up pretty well, too" I answered but was interrupted when I saw Severus by the corner of my eye, approaching the center of the Great Hall.

"Can I have your attention, please?" Severus said with his hard voice, trying to sound soft. He must have been talking about important stuff, but I wasn't paying attention. Instead, I was admiring the way he was dressed. After everything that happened, Severus changed slightly in the way he dressed. I think he wanted to leave the black robes that have been following over the years. Now that he was a happy man he could stay away from the darkness, and his clothes weren't an exception. He was wearing a dark blue suit, - filling up his pants pretty well -, white shirt and silver tie, his hair was combed properly and the way he was standing in front of everyone - like the real leader he is -, was so arousing. I couldn't wait to get to our chambers and take off that suit.

These thoughts were all inopportune and inappropriate for a time like this. I know! But what can I say? That man makes me feels things I never dealt with.

He must have reached the end of his speech when everyone turned their heads to me, snapping me back to the world. Severus was now looking at me with a smile on his face, as he approached me slowly, holding his hand in the air for me. I took it hesitantly and got up from the chair, allowing him to lead me to the center of the Great Hall, everyone looking at us.

"What are you doing?" I asked, faking a smile for everyone else that was looking.

"Opening the dance floor. As a headmaster, it is my duty. And what better way to open it than the way we did so many years ago. Same dress and all." He smiled, leaning his chin against my cheek, closing his eyes as he listened to the peaceful music.