Chapter 34

There were some students in the corridors with their stuff all packed up, ready to go home, away from that destroyed place until further notice. And who could blame them? This was a time to stay close to your loved ones, so they were doing what is best for now. The entry gates were fully opened, allowing them to go in and out freely through the debris and dust caused by the battle.

Hermione arrived outside first and I had to run to catch the girl. She looked around impatiently.

"They should be here already." She whispered.

"Who? Who are you expecting?"

"You'll see soon." She grinned and then retreated to her feverish gaze, scanning her surroundings, until her eyes stopped and she stared at something, smirking like crazy.

I turned around, frustrated with her mood swings and all I could see was a group of people walking in our direction. There was Ron, Harry, and some more members of the Order of Phoenix, along with some members of the Ministry. Kingsley Shacklebolt was appointed as temporary Minister after the battle of Hogwarts but he would turn out to be permanent.

"In the name of the magical community, we want to thank you for your sacrifice and for your bravery. As a temporary Minister of Magic, I am grateful for the services provided. You shall be rewarded and we wish you only the best for the rest of your life."

"I don't need rewards. I need peace." I simply said.

"I think we all need that right now. Have a good day, Miss Angelina." He walked away along with several other members, that bowed slightly their heads and thanked me as they passed by. I turned around to face the rest of the people gathered in front of me.

"It is good to see you standing." Hagrid warmly said.

"Yes. Thank you all." I smiled, but impatiently I said: "But I want to see Severus. I need to see him before going away."

"You're going away? Where?" Minerva asked bothered.

"I don't know. There are too many memories here. Painful memories..." I looked down as another stream of tears threatened falling down.

I couldn't stay any longer in that place. Everywhere I look, I could see Severus walking around with his harsh posture, eyes scanning the corridors for any troubling kids to take points from. And every time I enter the Great Hall, I could see us dancing for the first time, when he saved me from Lockheart's' arms. Or when we kissed for the first time inside his chambers. Or when I finally let myself go and allowed him to make me his. All of that lost like a snap of a finger. I couldn't stay there without him. It didn't make any sense to me.

"I don't think you're going to need to go away, darling," Minerva said with a tear running down her face.

The crowd in front of me opened a space between them to show a group of students carrying someone injured, with severe difficulty walking. Somehow my brain wasn't fast enough to process what was in front of me, but my heart started pounding faster when I saw those familiar dark robes I've been in love with for years now.

My knees failed on me for a brief moment, but Hermione was there to hold me, beaming and allowing a happy tear to stroll down her cheek too.

"How...?" I could only gasp, my throat was dry and my voice was too shaky to even make an audible sound.

Severus' eyes were locked in mine as he approached slowly the love of his life. Ever since he woke up, about an hour ago, the only thing he thought about was to keep his promise and see me one more time, - even though he didn't quite understand why he was back. And when he was told everything that happened, about me being dead and coming back to life, no one could hold him down any longer - he had to see me.

As soon as his eyes finally met mine, even though his condition didn't allow him, he wanted to run to me, he wanted to hold me on his arms like the first time and to tell me everything would be ok.

And observing him walking again in my direction shook my world, as I was already starting to accept he was really gone.

"He said you proved your worth. He said your sacrifice would be rewarded. And that they are rooting for your happiness. My life mission is to preserve that happiness." Severus said slowly, in a low and shaky voice.

Everyone's' expression shifted from happy to a mix of smiles and confusion, as they listen to all the nonsensical rambling.

"You kept your promise," I muttered smiling, feeling the energy coming back to my body, as I addressed him carefully.

He nodded and finally a smile also appeared on his face. "You made me keep the promise. Thank you."

Tenderly approaching him, people that were supporting him started moving away, allowing me to embrace Severus with both my arms until he was fully supported on me and our bodies were connected once again.

I finally felt my heaven, the warm of my sun and the light of my stars, all that confined in Severus' body. His scent was still there, even though he was filled with dust and dirtiness and even though he smelled like death. Despite all this, the crock of his neck smelled like home and it twisted me inside to think that I have the possibility to make him mine for the rest of my days.

"When he woke up no one could hold him in bed to rest. For some reason, the man urged to see you." Madame Pomfrey brooded, annoyed with Severus' odd behavior.

Meanwhile, our hug ceased and we were now looking into each other eyes, too intoxicated with our special moment - and ignoring Madame Pomfrey statement -, wishing it would never end. But eventually I saw a flinch of physical pain in his eyes and I ended up agreeing with our beloved healer.

"She's right. You should have stayed in bed. Come on. You need to be examined by Madame Pomfrey right away." I put his arm above my shoulders, supporting him while I lead him to the hospital wing.

"I need to talk with you." He hummed.

"We have time for that later. You need to heal first." I interrupted him, but headstrong as he is, he insisted.

"I'm sorry for... everything." The crowd around us was walking after us, curious about our encounter. Some of them were aware of our relationship, others were surprised for how close the sinister man was with me and wanted to gossip about it.

"Don't. You don't have to justify anything. I understand." I tried to hush him.

"No. What I mean is, my intentions are set. Nothing else will get in our way. You and I... we belong together," he finally said and sighed, blowing air he didn't know he had confined inside his lungs. I gasped, even though I knew what he felt for me. Knowing that his feelings haven't changed a bit after all this time, filled my heart with so much joy I didn't know was possible. His pace came to a stop. "I couldn't think about anything else. Until the end, you were on my mind. You... changed something in me." He pulled away from my arms only to cup my cheeks. "And I love you for that." And he planted a soft kiss on my lips, before returning to our slow journey to the hospital wing.

Still overwhelmed by his lips, I heard people gasping behind us, one of them being Madame Pomfrey. She was completely unaware of our relationship, even though she warned me a few years back that Severus cared too much about me. Every time I was in the hospital he stayed there the whole time and refused to leave.

"Finally," Hermione whispered, but not quite enough for not being heard.

"You were aware of this?" Molly asked completely confused.

"We all were," Ron answered matter-of-factly.

All I could hear before entering the hospital wing was Molly whispering "Thank god, they deserve happiness."