Chapter 35

Severus' recovery was slow and painful. There wasn't much Madame Pomfrey could do for him - she never treated someone who came back from death -, just some potions to ease the pain, but it never ceased to exist until the third week of recovery.

I visited him every day, making sure he was healing properly and making sure he had a smile on his face. I would bring him books for him to read, other times I would read him the books since he was too tired to do it himself. But most of the times I just stayed there, holding his hand and praying for his pain to go away.

Sometimes he would get visits from the Weasleys, Minerva, Harry and Hermione and I could see Severus was moved with all the love he was receiving from people that now respect him and trust him entirely - people that he died to protect. Especially Harry. Their hate-relationship had come to an end, now that Harry knows the real man he is.

"What?" He asked me when he saw me smirking after Harry left the hospital wing.

"Nothing. I just like the way you and Harry are now."

He huffed. "He's still arrogant like his father."

"Perhaps. Or perhaps he is a good man that suffered too much. Just like you. Perhaps he is just... misunderstood by you?" He didn't reply. He knew that I was right but knowing him as I do, he wouldn't want to give in. "Well, at least you're not taking Gryffindor points like you used to." And he chuckled - music to my ears.

When he was finally discharged from the hospital wing, he came with a warning: "no adventures and rest a lot". 

I intended to make his life comfortable enough so he wouldn't need to move an inch. But we all know him: He is obstinate and strong-minded.

"Maybe now we can talk about things." He said when we finally arrived at his house at Spinner's End.

I looked around me to the dark and enclosed living room, filled with threadbare furniture, and books covering the walls, where he spent the summers between school years at Hogwarts, buried on his books and his own sorrow. He never once took me there, I actually don't know much about what he does in his school' breaks. I would love to know what his hobbies are - besides books and potions, of course. It was something I would like him to share with me. Even though we are madly in love with each other, there are so much to know about him, as he needs to know about me.

"Are you even listening to me?" He asked, with his usual sour tone.

"You were born here?" I asked, ignoring his annoyed look. But eventually, he eased and answered.

"I did." He simply said.

"I like it." I was now looking at him, after scanning my surroundings. "But it needs a little more light. More happiness."

"Aren't you expecting me to foster the homeless cats and paint my walls pink, are you?"

"That would be perfect." I smiled at his furrowed brows. "But no. In time this will be more welcoming."

"I'm not expecting visits." He said immediately and I answered him even faster.

"Not even mine?" He eyed me carefully and hesitated to speak, so he closed his mouth and looked down. "Say what is eating you inside, Severus. There's something in your mind since we left Hogwarts," I approached him and kneeled in front of him, while he was sitting on the couch.

"I was expecting you to... stay... infinitely." He asked slowly as if he was afraid to say it out loud.

"Are-- are you inviting me to come live with you?" I asked, putting a hand on his knee.

"Yes." He said fearful but he continued talking, not letting me answer. "Of course I would understand if you don't feel ready to do that now, or ever. It was just an idea that came to my mind--"

"Severus, I wasn't expecting to leave you any time soon," I said beaming. He really thought I would leave him alone in a time like this? After everything, we've been through? I would never leave his side. Never again.

"GOOD!... Good." He said, trying to conceal his happiness.

I sighed. "Now, let's unpack your stuff and get you to bed. You need to rest."

"I'm tired of resting." He complained.

"I'm tired of taking care of a child. Man up and rest." I opened his fridge, scanning the food inside and made a "hmm" sound before closing the door and turn to him again. "I'm going to the store to buy food. You need to rest and to eat. Let's get you to bed, and then I'm going to cook for you."

He looked at me with an indistinguishable expression while I was helping him going to his bedroom. His expression wasn't annoyed or anything. He had love on his eyes and a mix of confusion and contentment.

"Thank you." He said, without diverting his gaze from me while I pulled his sheets down.

"For what? I'm hungry too." I replied.

"For taking care of me. For caring. I never had anyone." He said, tears threatening to fall down from his eyes, much to his disapproval.

"Now you have me." I smiled helping him to lay on the bed, taking off his shoes and covering him with blankets. "Now, be a good boyfriend and rest."

"Boyfriend?" He asked with a cheerful tone on his voice but trying to hide it.

"Well, you almost called me your girlfriend once." I mocked him, before turning around and exiting the room.

I heard him whispering. "I did not."

And I yelled before grabbing a key and exit his house' door. "Did too!"