Chapter 24

When I woke up the next morning I felt the bed empty on the side where Severus should be. 

I looked around, but there were no signs of his presence and my heart skipped a beat as I jumped out of bed. I used his shirt from the night before and put it on my naked body. I looked around for any note or anything that could tell me if he left me there alone, but there was nothing. So I ventured out of the room, into his living room and kitchen and there he was: Cooking and preparing a breakfast table.

I opened my mouth, hypnotized with the man's' ability to make me smile. Leaning against the wall and biting my finger at that sight, I was taking a mental picture of his naked torso, making pancakes, unaware of his audience.

When he turned around he almost jumped back startled, but his expression melted when he saw my naked body only covered with his shirt like he was marking his territory.

"Good morning." He said. "Slept well?"

"I did. Like I haven't slept in years."

"No nightmares?" He approached me to kiss me on my forehead. God knows how much I trembled when the man I love was near me. I think he intended to kiss me and go back to his job, but when he looked into my eyes he couldn't help it. He took me in his arms and planted a kiss on my lips.

"No nightmares. Thanks to you." I smiled at him and he smiled back.

"That's good to know. Come, I made breakfast. I hope you like it." He intertwined his fingers in mine and guided me to the table, where we ate silently, occasionally smiling at each other.

When we were over, I helped him clean the table and I started gathering my clothes from last night so that I could go back to my room and get ready for the day. But he came from behind and hugged me, stopping me from moving.

"I know you should go. I know this should end here for now. But I can't." Tears were starting to fall down his face and his voice was so weak he could only whisper. "I can't lose you."

"Hey, you made a promise to me. When this is all over, you'll come for me. You come back for me. I will always be waiting for you."

He just remained hugged to me, head buried on the crock of my neck, breathing heavy and he was not letting me go. Even though I was trying to convince him he didn't move an inch and kept me in his embrace until someone knocked on the door.

We looked at each other, frozen in place. But then we heard Dumbledore's' gentle voice. "Severus? Angel? I have a message for you."

Severus approached the door, opening it slowly to a smiley Dumbledore. He looked inside and saw me and his smile grew wider. He handed us an invitation and went away, smiling alone.

I opened the invitation and read it. A ball. Tonight. Students, Teachers, and everybody were invited.

"A party? At a time like this?" I asked. Severus looked at me and shrugged.

"It's Dumbledore. You can never know what he is thinking." Severus said as he approached and took his shirt off my body.

Hours after another session of lovemaking I finally left Severus' chambers and went for mine, preparing for classes. 

When I opened my door I saw a letter on the floor. Already trembling, I opened it and I needed to sit on the floor when my brain processed what my eyes were reading.

My dear niece.

I saw you today. You were back on the house. Back to where we were so happy. I can't tell you how much happiness I felt that moment. I wanted to run to you and make up for the lost time.

But then I saw you with that filthy bat and I saw you kissing him in the room we made love so many times.

You don't know how much angry that got me.

Are you seeing him? Why did you do that? You're going to pay for this. I was your first and will be your last. Whether you want it or not. Don't you dare get close to that motherfucker, or else you will suffer as I did.

Any relationship you have with that man, you will end it. I'll be watching you, so there's no way you can tell anyone. Not even Dumbledore. I'll be watching you, even when you think I don't.

Perhaps a little demonstration will do.

Love,

Maxime.

Then I heard an explosion.