Chapter 44

Word count: 3551

Lenore

He escaped.

He escaped.

Finn has escaped.

Those words haunted in my mind.

I didn't know what to do even, didn't know where to go.

I was just frozen in place.

"Oh god," I breathed out as I placed my hands on my knees.

"You need to get out of here, right now," Kennedy said. "He is more pissed off as ever. More than I have ever seen him like. Go anywhere, just leave this place."

Shit.

I didn't want to die, so I quickly clutched onto Finn's phone before I started running, speeding out of the woods. My heart felt as if it was making a million beats in a second, my breathing came out as pants.

It felt as if I was running a marathon.

After about fifteen minutes of running, I came to a halt, stopping suddenly. "Shit," I muttered as I felt a sharp pain in my chest.

And I immediately knew what it was because it had happened so many times before.

Could be summed up with Finn being mad at me, being away and the mate bond being affected.

"Goddamnit, I need to get out of here."

But I didn't know where to go because there was nothing nearby,

Just forest.

Until I came up with an idea, I quickly unlocked Finn's phone that was still in my hand. I ignored the feeling of my heart stopping for a second when I saw that his wallpaper was of us.

I shook my head and went to maps, typing in Colin's address. I knew that it could be the one place where I could go since Finn wouldn't think of me going there.

As soon as it popped up, I made my way there quickly.

It was like a kilometre away.

Wrapping my arms around myself as I kept speed-walking, trying to get there as fast as I could.

And then I did.

I came to a halt at an adorable cottage in the woods. Dark brown roof, while the house was light brown, wooden. I didn't admire long because I knew that I had to get inside quickly. So I made my way over to the porch, not paying attention to the comfortable hammock or the small coffee table in front of it.

I knocked hurriedly, multiple times, hoping that him and Haley would be home.

My teeth were chattering because I was only in shorts and a shirt and it had gotten much colder.

For some reason, even though it was summer, it was still cold in the Shadow Frost Pack.

It felt as if hours passed when I was about to knock, but suddenly the door was opened.

"Lenore?" came a female voice.

I looked up and my eyes met Haley, who was standing there in a silk robe.

Which was open.

"Um," I struggled to come up with what to say so I wouldn't embarrass her. "Your robe—"

Her eyes widened when she looked down. She shrieked as she closed the robe. "Sorry," she mumbled as she ran a hand through her strawberry blonde hair.