Chapter 40

Suggested songs: "Wings" and "Read All About It"
By: Birdy and also Emeli Sandé

Word count: 5021

Lenore

I groaned as I turned around, but I was confused by the hard surface under me.

My eyes slowly opened and I looked around. "What the hell?"

I slowly sat up on the hard ground, weirded out because there were only woods around me.

I was in the woods.

"What is going on?" I questioned to myself.

"Good morning, Lenore!" I heard a familiar voice exclaim. "Or should I say good night, since it is nighttime."

I turned and found Finn leaning against a tree a few feet away from me. "What is going on here? How did I-I don't understand."

"Yeah, I needed you to pass out, so I sedated you with a sleeping injection."

I was bemused and shocked at the same time.

"W-What? Why would you do that? Why am I here, Finn?"

He sighed as he pushed himself off the tree before stalking over too me. "You remember what you did a couple of hours ago?"

I was about to shake my head, but then I remembered. "Shit."

"That's the expression I was hoping for!"

Not even thinking twice, I backed away from him instantly as he got closer to me. "N-No, you stay away from me."

Finn crouched down when he was in front of me, then he reached out his hand to touch me. "You know, I have thought about hours what to do with you. I was honestly thinking of punishing you again just like I have done for weeks. But I'm tired of that."

I gave him a blank look. "Then what's your plan? You planning on tying me against a tree, giving a little banging?"

"I'm sure that's what you would want," he murmured while leaning closer, his hand trailing on my arm. "But that's not what is going to happen now."

"Then what is?"

I felt creeped out when he sent me a sinister smile. "Well, I thought about it for a while, but here is what is going to happen now. I am giving you an opportunity to leave."

What?

I was confused and shocked again by what he had said.

"Where's the catch?" I asked instantly. "Because you would never do anything without a catch. So what is it?"

"Aww, I love how well you know me," he cooed while tucking a lock of my hair behind my ear. "But the catch is that it's not going to be that easy. You see, you're going to run and I'm going to give you a head start of thirty minutes. If I don't find you until the sunset then you can leave, I will let you leave that basement. But if I do catch you then... I can do whatever I want with you."

My eyes widened at his words, not believing them at first.

"I don't know what time it is. How will I know how long I have?" I questioned.

Finn sighed before reaching out to grab something from his pocket. He held out a hand watch, before grabbing my hand and putting the watch on. He secured it tightly, before setting it on. "Since it's past three then you have three hours until the sunset."

I could only stare in shock as he grabbed a hold of my arms, lifted me up to a standing position. Then he placed a chaste kiss to my forehead, his lips skimming it lightly. "W-Why?"