Chapter 4

Word count: 5418

Lenore

For a few seconds he didn't say anything, he was just frozen, but still kept his arms around me.

And I was beginning to regret my words.

Then finally after a while he spoke, "What did you just call me?"

"Um..." What could I say? "Nothing."

Really? That was all that I could come up?

He dropped his arms from around me and got up from the bed. "No. You called me you know what."

"What? No, I didn't," I continued, playing stupid. "Get back to bed."

My stubborn mate shook his head and backed away from me. His eyes held a lot of emotions in them. What shocked me the most was that the main was a look of fear.

"Okay, I'm sorry for that stupid nickname. Please, just come back to bed," I whispered as I moved to the edge of the bed.

I watched as he withdrew away from me, but for his luck, he tripped over something and fell on his butt. "No."

What's wrong with him?

"Finn-" He flinched at the mention of his name. "Don't be an idiot and come back. You need sleep."

He just kept shaking his head while pulling his legs against his chest and burying his head in-between. "I can't."

Confused, that would be an understatement. I was beyond confused. I did not understand why he was behaving like this.

"Why not?" I asked softly, afraid that he would shrink away when I didn't speak like this.

He didn't say anything, just sat there leaning against the wall that was a few meters from the bed.

I sighed. "You can't sleep there. Just tell me what's wrong."

Still nothing. He was just sitting there on the floor with his head buried between his arms. He looked like he was grieving.

I made the most stupid decision probably because I got so close to the edge of the bed. Placing my hands down on the floor and then I fell.

I toppled on the floor, on my stomach. I hissed in pain and that caused my mate to look up. His eyes widened. I braced my hands on the cold floor and then slowly started crawling towards my mate who watched my movements carefully.

My entire body hurt. My stomach was burning, but I wasn't gonna give up. I bit my lip to keep from whimpering from pain and kept going.

He was about to move away -I know that-, but before he could I grabbed onto his ankle to stop him.

"Don't," I whispered.

That caused him to stay still, he breathed in heavily. I moved so I was seated against the wall, right next to my mate.

I pressed my legs against his, his arms grazing against mine. I felt the electric sparks that shot through my body, all of them heated up my body.

Still keeping quiet, he buried his face between his arms again. I felt bad for him because he was my mate and he was sad. It broke my heart.

Slowly, I lifted my head on his shoulder. I smelt his amazing scent which was chocolate and it was so sweet that I thought I would die in it.

He stiffened and slowly removed his head from his arms and looked at me. "Why?"

My eyes flashed up to meet his and I gave him a lost look. "What do you mean?"

He shifted awkwardly. "I mean why aren't you rejecting me?"