Chapter 5

Word count: 4377

Lenore

I was frozen.

My mate just stared at me and did not say anything. He blinked a few times, but kept his eyes locked with mine.

I hung up the phone quickly and placed it on the bed.

"Um, hey," I whispered.

My eyebrows furrowed as he clenched his jaw. "Who were you talking to?"

I lowered my head in shame. I mean I know how much he didn't want me to call my family, but he can't really blame me. "I think you know."

"I want you to say it." His voice was just laced with anger and that scared me.

I took a deep breath.

And another.

"Finn-" I tried but he shook his head.

"Tell me!" I flinched at his tone.

I sighed. "It was my mom."

Pain flashed in his eyes, but it was with disappointment and fury. "Very well then. You may leave."

My eyes instantly snapped to his at what he said. Confusion covered my face. "What do you mean?"

He sat up. "I mean that you can go back to your pack."

I was overcome with joy and confusion.

"What! Oh my god, Finn! Ah, thank you!" I was about to jump ahead and hug him, but he moved away before I could. He stood up from the bed. "Finn?"

What I got from him was two tsk's from his lips. "I don't like it when people cross me. In fact, I can't stand it!"

"I don't understand. Look, I'm sorry for calling them, but you can't really blame me. I mean what would you do if it was your parents!" I snapped the words without even thinking twice.

He froze. "I don't have parents."

I felt bad. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that. I sometimes do that. I blurt out words I do not mean."

He shook his head. "It doesn't matter, I still want you to go."

"What? Finn, are you saying what I think you are?" I asked.

I didn't have a good feeling about this.

I watched as he walked over to the window. His posture was tight and you could tell how mad he was. "I want you to go back to your pack and not come back."

Those words broke my heart.

"Please tell me you're not serious. I said I was sorry for doing what I did. But you were going insane."

The muscle in his jaw ticked. "I'm not insane."

I rolled my eyes at him. "I didn't mean it like that. Jesus, Finn, stop being so dramatic!"

I guess my words caused him to get even more mad because I can swear that I saw his claws come out for a second. "It doesn't change anything. I know that you want to leave so why don't you?"

"When have I said that I want to leave? Yes, I may have said that I want to see my family, but you are my mate. Why on earth would I leave you?" I snapped.

"Everyone always leaves. That's what people are good at," he whispered.

"But I'm not. And people don't leave, okay maybe some do, but not everyone."

He rested his head against the widow and breathed in heavily. "I can't..."

I don't understand him.