Roguish Behaviour

{39}

I lay on my bed, staring up at the familiar ceiling of the room. Earlier, Leona had to leave the manor and head to the other town to visit Julian's parents, the former Beta leaders. The manor was empty, there wasn't even a worker present, leaving me alone in this mansion. 

I had the photo of Lily and Maxwell in my hand, I wondered how devastated she felt when she was forcefully separated from her mate and child. I brought the photo into my line of vision and stared at Lily's smiling face. I hoped I could somehow bring some kind of justice to what had happened to you nineteen years ago. 

Just then, the front door of the manor opened, making me sit up at the sound. Could it be Theo and Julian back from the fighting grounds already? I frowned when I couldn't sense his presence in bond, it was someone else. I stilled, not wanting to make a sound.

I tuned my sensitive hearing so that I could hear their voice. The person sighed loudly and started pacing around. I closed my eyes and shook my head, dread slowly overcoming me. Out of all the people who could've returned back, why did it have to be him? Why is Kobi back so soon? 

I quietened my breathing and minimized my movement, he doesn't need to know I'm in. Hopefully, I'm far enough to not have my presence noticed and quiet enough to not be heard. 

"Hello, it's me."

He seemed to be on the phone with someone, he sounded hurried. "What do you mean? It was your idea!"

He slammed his hand against something and snarled. "You said you wanted information about her and Theo, and I'm doing my best. He may be a rogue, but K is the best at finding out secrets. I'll give you all the info you need when everything is done."

I frowned uneasily at this, the bad feeling spreading throughout my body. K was definitely Killian. All uncertainty about Kobi's intentions flew out the window, he was definitely an enemy.

"Well, that's too bad. He didn't tell me what he was going to do yesterday, it's your fault that you got in the way. Don't worry, you'll find a way to take it off."

Silence.

"Besides, it's not like I can negotiate with that man, he's a rogue for fuck sake! This conversation is over, I'm hanging up."

More silence. 

I stayed seated on my bed, processing what I'd just heard. Who was he talking to? Who wanted information about Theo and I? Basing it off Kobi's side of the conversation, it seemed that the caller was not a rogue and was at the attack yesterday.

Footsteps echoed throughout the mansion, he was walking up the stairs. I internally groaned, he'll definitely feel my presence when he reaches the same level. I closed my eyes shut tightly, praying he wasn't paying attention to his surroundings. 

Hearing him take each and every step was nerve racking. 

I held my breath, my eyes widening when I heard him reach the upstairs lobby. 

I slumped in relief when his footsteps continued, walking away from my wing and towards his. I put my hand on my chest, feeling my heart race from nervousness. I don't know what kind of luck that was, but I was glad to have it on my side. 

KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!

My head whipped towards my bedroom door in horror.

"Hey Elisia."

Shivers of dread and fright rippled throughout my body, as I tried to come to terms with the fact that Kobi's right outside my door. 

How did he make it outside my door without me hearing?