Chapter 54

"For the 100th time already, daddy is at work." Naima sighed.

Karim could be very stubborn at times. Just like his father.
He was literally like a young photo copy of Tawfiq.
He wanted to dress, act and be like him in general.

"But mama, he said he will teach me how to play chess today." Karim cried.

"I know, honey. But he was called in to work for something urgent. I could always teach you." Naima offered.

"No! I want daddy to teach me!" Karim screamed and ran upstairs.

"What am I going to do with you, Karim?" Naima mumbled to herself.

Three hours later, Karim came running downstairs to Naima crying his heart out.

"Honey, what's wrong?" Naima quickly asked as Karim ran into her arms.

"I had a dream...And you left me in the dream." He cried harder.

"Don't leave me, mama. I don't want to be alone." Karim continued to cry into his mother's clothes as he hugged his mother lower body tightly.

Naima lowered herself to his level.

"Awww... My baby boy. I'd never leave you alone. Your dad and I would never leave you alone. Okay. So don't you worry at all." Naima consoled.

"Okay." Karim agreed with a nod.

"So why don't you bring your chess board and I will start teaching you before daddy returns? Is that okay?" Naima asked.

"Yes!" Karim enthusiastically replied.

"Whose little handsome son are you?" Naima cooed.

"Mama!" Karim clapped.

"That's right. Now, let's get your chess board and start playing." Naima said with a wide smile.

〰️

"Daddy!" Karim screamed and ran to Tawfiq when he entered the house.

"Karim." Tawfiq said with a forced smile.

Naima noticed it and frowned.

Karim hugged Tawfiq's legs but Tawfiq bent down on one knee to reach his level.

"How you doing, big fella?" Tawfiq ruffled his hair.

"Alhamdulilah, I'm fine. Mama thought me how to play chess today. And we had so much fun." Karim replied excitedly.

Naima caught Tawfiq's eye and it held so much pain behind his smile.
She had known him long enough to know when he was forcing a smile and when he wasn't.
He was clearly forcing it then.

Tawfiq quickly turned his attention away from Naima.

Naima frowned even more.
What was wrong?

"Is that so?" Tawfiq asked.

"Yes. And we ate ice cream and played hide and seek and..." Karim was about to continue when Naima intervened.

"That's enough, buddy. Your dad is tired and so are you. Go up and brush your teeth for bed." Naima urged and Karim pouted.

"But, he just got here." Karim complained.

"Karim, please do as your mom says. We can talk about your whole day tomorrow." Tawfiq insisted lowly.

"Okay." Karim reluctantly agreed and later,ran up to his room.

The moment Karim went up the stairs, Tawfiq sat on the floor.

"Tawfiq,what's the matter?" Naima walked quickly to him in concern.