Chapter 11

Who said Naima was unlucky?

She actually went through the whole day without meeting Tawfiq even once which was a good thing. Maybe he had forgotten about her already with all the girls in his life. She was trying to forget him but. . .his eyes.
She just couldn't get it out of her head.
There wasn't anything special about it, she had seen unique eye colors before but Maasha Allah, they were amazing.

Focus Naima. You are trying to forget about him here.

Fortunately, Naima met Belinda at lunch and she had to create and explain how she was sick with the flu.
This time though, they exchanged numbers so they could get in touch more.

〰️

The rest of the week came by quickly and by the time Naima realize it was the next week already.

She hadn't seen "you know who" yet. She also realized he didn't know her name well because she never actually told him.
Thus it wasn't right to speak his.

It was the week of the football game. She hadn't yet gone for the Mascot suit and now she was starting to feel a bit hesitant about it.

The video Zain showed her the previous week had been playing rent free in her head. It irked her.
She didn't want to embarrass herself and risk getting noticed by people. And not for good reasons either.

She didn't go through 3 years of hiding to get noticed by something so stupid.

In the end, she had to go or I risk losing her scholarship.

Naima had gone to the Principal's office on Monday to get the suit and she was told by the principal that it would keep it in her office rather than sending it to the boy's locker room.

Basically, she could change in to the mascot suit in her office.

〰️
Normally it takes a century for Friday to arrive when Monday comes.
But it took what felt like 2 seconds for Friday to come that week.

Friday.
The big day.
The day Naima became Valley View's Mascot. As usual of course there would be classes for us commoners while the players trained.
Leave it to VVH to put education first.

Fortunately, school would close early so the game could start before 3pm and end before 5pm.

Under any other circumstance, Naima wouldn't stay to watch the game. But today she would be the spirit and strength of the school. The Eagle Mascot of the school.

She had watched YouTube videos beforehand to see how to be a mascot. Most of the videos just showed them walking around the field and rousing up the supporters. Some even followed the actions of the cheerleaders. I wasn't going to prance around like a cheerleader.
Even if I know how, that is.

It was almost 2pm when school ended.

Naima felt nervous and kept on rubbing her elbow unconsciously.
She felt hot all of a sudden. It was cold a few seconds ago.
She tried to calm my breaths by counting 1 to 10 forwards and backwards as her therapist had taught her. It was working a bit.

Belinda had informed her she wouldn't stay to watch the game which was good for Naima because she didn't want to tell her what she would be doing during the game.

It wasn't like she was embarrassed of being a Mascot, She was just scared, she would get noticed.

A girl as the school mascot?

Headline news.

The game was being held in VVH. Their school had the biggest football pitch in the town. It wasn't all that big for a national competition but convenient for high school competitions.

Naima went straight to the Principal's office after her last class.

The principal was already on her way to the field.

The secretary gave her the suit and told her she could to wear it there.
Naima wasn't one who liked to change in front of anyone even if it was a girl.
Only her female family members could see that. And she had only a few of those on the list.

Naima asked politely to use the back room and she just smiled and opened it up for her to use.

Okay, so her long awaited question was answered. She could see in the costume.
Well it was a given.
She just couldn't be blind throughout.

"You probably should go stand in front of the locker room so people don't find you suspicious. Normally, mascots dress there and lead them out of the room for the game." The secretary explained to her.

She had removed the head part of the costume to adjust her hijab, yes she was wearing it. You never know what could happen.

"Okay, thanks for the advice."

"You are welcome. And good luck, you will be needing it." she mumbled the last part but Naima caught it.

She placed the head of the eagle over her own head and it wasn't as hot inside the head like she had imagined.

Actually nothing was like she imagined. It was actually quite comfortable. She could see through the mesh in the eyes of the eagle, she could breathe well too.

People look at her as she walks by and some shout "Go Eagles ".

The first time, she got scared thinking they saw her.

No one can see you.

She tried to remember they couldn't see her and continued her journey towards the locker room.

She added a little flex to her walking to pass off a manly vibe but the face people give her made her believe it didn't turn out how she envisioned in her head.

She increases her pace to the locker room and the noise coming from there made her feel even more scared than before.

It was quiet for almost half a minute till she heard shuffling of feets coming to the door

She stood still, ready for action.

Now. Or. Never.

⚜️⚜️⚜️
#VCS
Bye