Chapter 6

⚜️

As Tawfiq was walking habiba to the study hall, He thanked Allah for not making him bunk detention.

He nearly went home but decided his rebelliousness was getting a little too much so decided to come and face his punishment.

Well luckily, he ended up having habiba joining him in his punishment. Detention wouldn't be so bad after all.

Habiba had decided not to tell him her name so she had to deal with him calling her habiba; which he could tell was pissing her off.

When they entered the study hall a few students were there. The teacher in charge as usual was fast asleep. Tawfiq didn't know why they were always sleeping instead of watching the students. They made bunking detention so easy.

Habiba hadn't looked at him for more than  three seconds since they met this morning.

It had been a while since Tawfiq met a girl who could lower her gaze so much.
She took a seat behind the class.
And Tawfiq took the seat by her.

She didn't say anything else and placed her head on the table avoiding him at all cost, probably.

"Habiba, don't sleep yet. I'm going to take the chessboard from the library so be up by then." Tawfiq informed her and she just gives him a thumbs up with her head still on the table.

Tawfiq walked out of the class not caring to ask for permission. He jogged to the library since it was a bit far and used his school ID to swipe the borrowing machine. Courtesy of being in a private school, no need to wait for the librarian.

He picked the chessboard with the bag full of chess pieces and jogged back to the study hall. It felt a little cold so he checked the weather on his phone and it showed that it was going to rain later at night.

He got to the study hall to see the teacher in charge still asleep and Habiba's head still on the table.

"Habiba. . .Habiba. . .get up. Let's play, you promised." Tawfiq chuckled.

He knew she would get up to protest.

"I did no such thing." She said looking at his face to protest.

"Good, you're up. Let's play." Tawfiq said and began setting up the game on her table and pulling his chair opposite her to face her.

"Wait. . .wait, so you. . .you. . .you just said that to make me protest. . .you. . .you." she said, lost of words.

"I know, I know I am awesome, no need to be shocked." He teased.

"MashaAllah. . .your ego just hit the ozone layer." she said, looking at the roof.

"You even have a sense of humor. . . what more do I need to know about you again?. . .That will be for another day. Let's play."

"Fine. I like the black side." She says turning the board for the black pieces to face her.

"Awwhh but I like black. No problem though. And you do know white starts." Tawfiq informed.

"I know. Move first, beginner." she said to him. And for the first time give him a smile that could make the world stop, rewind, stop and start again.

Cliche, I know.

"Oh you did not" Tawfiq said acting angry.

〰️

"Check" she said to Tawfiq.

"Resign?" Naima arched a brow.

"Never." Tawfiq shook his head.

Four moves later.

"Mate." Naima grinned.

"What?! Not again!?"

She had taken most of his pieces already.

"I give up. You're the chess queen. I wouldn't have played if I knew that." Tawfiq bowed to her.

She chuckled a little still looking down.

"I have played since I can remember. How long have we been here?" Tawfiq looked around and only two people were still in the study hall excluding them. He checked his watch and it read 5:45pm.

"Our dentention time is over. It's even 15 minutes past it."

"Oh no!?I'm late. I need to go. Salaam Mu Alaykum." She said whiles getting her stuff, ready to leave.

"Wait. . .let me send you home, it's late." Tawfiq offered.

He realized it was getting a bit late.

"No, thanks. I shouldn't even be late and shouldn't be seen with boys. But thanks anyways. I had a lot of fun. I haven't. . ." she paused and went quiet. It felt like she was remembering something she forgot from her facial expression.

"Okay, but I still think it won't be a good idea to go alone so late. But if you insist, then fine." Tawfiq gave her an understanding nod.

She waved at him and mouthed her salaam and left him alone.

Tawfiq sighed and got up. He knew he had to return the chessboard but who cared anyways.
He walked to the parking lot and he saw habiba from afar walking away.

At the parking lot, Tawfiq spots only two cars there. His Bugatti veyron and one Hyundai Elantra. For a high school student, a Bugatti was supposed to be outside his budget. But he was Tawfiq. And he didn't mind a bit of extravagance.

He got into his car and placed his school bag on the passenger seat.

As he drove out of the lot, it started to rain.

Shit.
He thought.

He honestly hope habiba was in a bus or maybe at home already. He should have insisted on sending her home even when she refused.

He continued driving and used the opposite direction of where habiba passed. It started to rain much more heavily on his way home.

By the time he got to home, it was raining cats and dogs. . . elephants and hippos.

He parked his car in the garage and entered the house.

Tawfiq lived alone so he didn't have to explain to his parents or anyone why he was now coming home. He turned on the lights in the house and made his way to his room to take a quick shower. After praying, he went to the kitchen to heat some leftovers from the day before.
He was too tired to cook.

It was still raining heavily and he suddenly felt like habiba was stranded somewhere. He was sure there wasn't anything to worry about.

But. . . What if she was? Well, there wasn't much to lose to go and check. He changed into sweatpants and a t-shirt with two jackets in case she was stranded somewhere.

He picked his keys up from the kitchen island and took his car out the garage. He really hoped she wasn't stranded in the rain.

He was just being paranoid and letting his anxiety get the better of him as his mom used to say. He missed her. . .his mom. . .a lot.

He headed out to the school, maybe she was still there.
In Shaa Allah she was home drinking hot chai with her family and laughing.

Tawfiq had a knack for overreacting at times.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

Salaam.

#VCS