Chapter 4

After Naima got to class, She took her seat and waited for a while before the rest of the students reported for class.
Their French teacher, Mrs. Petit came in and greeted the class.

"Bonjour la classe."

"Bonjour Madame Petit." The class chorused.

Naima was thinking about her encounter with the boy with golden brown eyes so most of what Mrs. Petit was saying was not making sense. Out of nowhere the boy with the brown eyes entered the class.

'What was he doing here'
She thought.

"Mr. Rahim you are late" Mrs. Petit said.

So he was a Muslim? She would never have guess.
Okay, that explains the Arab features he had.

He looked vaguely familiar now but she didn't remember exactly where. She must have seen him somewhere before in school.

" With all due respect, I can see I'm late. And my surname is Abdul Rahim not Rahim please show some respect and reverence to the name it's one of the names of God. . ." he started to explain but stopped when everyone else became confused.

Okay so he also supported his religion. Nice.

He told the French teacher to never mind and he gets a trip to the Principal's office.
Rebel much. He took his seat and Naima looked away from him.

"Okay class so we were able to finish all the syllabus for last year. This year, we are starting with Joan of Arc. I believe I told you to go and read on that before we come back?" Mrs. Petit said, smiling.

Good thing I learnt about it incase she gave a surprise test.

"So class, who wants to give us a brief summary on what they learnt during the summer break?" She asked with a smile.

No one raised their hand to answer her question. Everyone just looked lost on what she was even talking about.

Naima was sure no one did any research on it. She would have answered but she didn't do that in class because as you know, people would notice her and she didn't want that.

"Oh really, someone say something before I give you all 4 weeks of dentention .....and 2 weeks of continuous essays on it and also everyone gets a F in the finals.You kids had 3 whole month and you couldn't use one day to read anything!" she screamed at the class.

What!? She can't do that.
If Naima got an F in the finals, she wouldn't be be able to get into a good college.

No! Mrs. Petit please...

Naima cried to herself.

She heard 'she's bluffing ' from one of the students. And it looked like Mrs. Petit heard it as well.

"Oh, I'm not bluffing. Try me out. I'm sick and tired of you students doing what you want. Someone say something sensible before I lose it. I went to a military school so don't tempt me, class" she said angrily.

Naima couldn't risk getting an F in the finals so she had to do the right thing; she raised her hand.

Everyone looked at her in relief.

"Yes, miss. . ." She asked, not knowing her name.
Why would she though?

"Abdul Salam" Naima replied quietly.

"Sure, Miss Abdul Salam, the floor is yours." she said to her.

"Okay. . .
Joan of Arc is considered a heroine of France for her role in the Lancastrian phase of the Hundred Years' War and was canonized as a Roman Catholic Saint. She was born to Jacques d'Arc and Isabelle Romeé a peasant family . She was born in Domrémy in north-east France. She received visions from the Archangel Michael, Saint Margaret and Saint Catherine of Alexandria asking her to support Charles VII and recover France from English domination in the Hundred Years' War. She was sent on a relief mission by uncrowned Charles VII to the siege of Orléans. She gained prominence after the siege was lifted later. Charles was crowned king then in Reims. This awaited victory improved French Morale and paved way for the final French Victory. . . erm that is all I know."

Wow. She didn't even know she could say that well enough.

Everyone began to clap and a few whistle.

Which Naima knew was in appreciation for her saving them from getting an F.

"Well, I don't know what to say. . .well done. You students are lucky she answered." Mrs. Petit said.

Naima took her seat and took a quick glance at Mr. Abdul Rahim. MashaaAllah.

He actually was handsome. Like very handsome.

When he turned to look at her she quickly looked away to avoid eye contact.

After a few assignments from Mrs. Petit she dismissed the class. As usual, Naima waited for everyone to leave the class before going to the door herself.

Before she was able to get there, the boy with the beautiful golden brown eyes blocked her way.

"Excuse me.  Can I pass?" Naima said not even sparing him a single glance.

"Sure, after I get a thank you for helping you with your books. " he said with a small smirk.

"Oh? sorry. . .thank you Mr. Abdul Rahim." Naima said sincerely.

His cologne was so strong like a mixture of nature with rain. . .wait what!?. . .

"Mr. Abdul Rahim? Really? It makes me sound like an old man. Call me Tawfiq." He said with a smile.

Tawfiq. . . Wasn't that the name of VVH's football team's captain?
It was him.

"Sure, Mr. Abdul Rahim" If Naima mentioned his name, she was sure she would become a puddle.

"Trying to be stubborn, are we? What's your name, habiba?" He said, calling her habiba. Only one person had used that endearment.

He had no right.
She glared at him.

"I'm not called habiba." Naima muttered angrily and pushed him aside to walk away.

She had English next and she prayed to Allah so hard not to mysteriously have English class with him.

He was trying to get on her nerves.