Chapter 2

"Naima. . .Naima?. . .Wake up."

Naima felt someone nudge her softly.

The voice sounded vaguely familiar.
She opened her eyes to see Belinda peering down at her with a full blown concern.

Belinda gave her a weary look.

"Naima, what happened? You just fainted all of a sudden. Are you feeling fine? Should I call for help?" Belinda asked all at once, leaving no room for breathing.

"Don't worry. I'm okay. It happens occasionally. No one noticed I had blacked out, right?"

Well, fortunately Belinda hadn't screamed from overreacting and no one noticed it too. Everyone else was just filing out of the auditorium like someone didn't just. . .blackout.

It wasn't like this was the first time she had blacked out.
Her former therapist would have been thrilled to be there. But that was a story for another day.

"Is that what you are worried about now?" Belinda looked at her in disbelief.

Naima pursed her lips.

"To answer your question, no one even batted an eye lid. Fortunately, I realized you were slipping off your seat and caught you before you could hit the ground."

"Thanks, Belinda." Naima said with sincerity.

They hadn't been friends for more than 30 minutes and here she was, helping her out.

"It's not a problem. But you're welcome."

Both girls were quiet until Belinda decided to break the weird silence. "So what club are you joining? I think I will join the Debators and writers club. I've been in a club like that before."

She seemed to get comfortable around people pretty fast, Naima noticed.
It was good though.

"I don't think I will join that club though. I did hear it is a good club. I guess I will think about it."

Belinda nodded in understanding.

Naima saw Principal Hashford by the entrance of the auditorium, walking out.

She had to speak with her. Maybe she would give her something else she could do to keep her scholarship other than joining a club.

"Thanks a lot again, Belinda. But I have to go"
Naima tells Belinda quickly and gets up from her seat just as quickly.

"Wait, where. . ."
Naima didn't wait long enough to hear what she had to say.

She moved as quickly as was possible between the auditorium seats to get to the principal.

"Principal Hashford. . .Principal
Hashford?. . ."

Naima called after her to stop her. She didn't see herself running up to catch up with her. She wasn't that fit.

Fortunately, the principal heard her call and turned her head to look at Naima with questioning eyes.

School was over so most of the students were outside already. So the hall wasempty with only Principal Hashford and the school accountant by her.

"Yes?. . .what can I do for you?"

"I wanted to speak to you if you had time?. . ." Naima asked politely.