Chapter 46

"I don't want anyone around the house. If I need you, I will call. Sa'ad, you know what to do. No one should know about this. Please." Tawfiq spoke quietly over the phone to the head of security on the island.

"Yes sir. We are clear on that." Sa'ad replied.

"I'm trusting you on this, man. Don't let me down, please." Tawfiq pleaded to Sa'ad.

"Don't worry, sir." Sa'ad assured.

If Tawfiq wanted to keep his trip a secret then that's what it will be. A secret.

"Thanks. I will call you if anything comes up. Salaam." Tawfiq disconnected the call.

Just then a ping sounded from his laptop and he turned towards it. He was in the bedroom waiting for Naima to perform wudhu so they would pray.

He took his laptop and opened the new message. He was so busy reading what it said, that he didn't hear the door to the washroom open.

The message read,

Dear sir,

ACCEPTANCE LETTER

We hope this letter finds you well.
You have been accepted to work as a Petroleum Production Engineer at the California Petroleum Company(CaPeCo) as a part of the Land Operation Team.

Due to the high recommendation received by the world renowned Petrol, Oil and Gas Company of Dubai and your impeccable record from MIT, you have been allowed to move past the entry level phase of working here in our company.

A house and a car will be provided if needed.

For more information on your acceptance, contact the CaPeCo's head secretary to assist you.

Yours truly,
CEO of CaPeCo.

His uncle had sent him a recommendation letter from Dubai after he was done with university so it could help him get a job quicker. He had just had a short interview with the HR boss and that was it.

"What's that?"
Tawfiq heard Naima's voice from behind him.

She hadn't meant to read it but she accidentally read the first line of the letter being an acceptance letter somewhere
Tawfiq was busily reading it that he hadn't even realized she was looking at the letter as well.

Tawfiq quickly closed the laptop when he heard her voice.

"Nothing." Tawfiq mumbled under his breath without looking at Naima.

"Nothing? Are you hiding something from me?" Naima gave him a look.

"It's really nothing." Tawfiq replied as he got up from the bed to place the laptop on the bedside table.

He still wasn't looking at Naima.
Looking at her would make him tell the truth in a breath and he wanted to tell her after they got home.

"Tawfiq?" Naima called out as she gave him disappointed eyes.

Tawfiq made the mistake of turning to look at her and his heart broke at the expression on her face.
He raked his hair  and walked towards her.

"I'm sorry. I didn't want to tell you right now." He exhaled. "I just got a job at California. I wanted to tell you slowly because it will mean that we have to move all the way there. It's a big change and I'm not forcing you to move with me. If you aren't comfortable with it we can stay and I will find another job around Valley view." Tawfiq gave her a sad smile.

"Is that all? You should have told me earlier. I wouldn't have married you if I knew we'd end up moving." Naima said with her best poker face.
Tawfiq just rubbed his eyes and groaned.