Chapter 10

It had been a week since the incident with Naima's dad. The bruise was almost gone but her cheeks still looked a little swollen.

If anyone asked, she'd blame it on her non-existent allergies.

Tomorrow was Wednesday and she had to go back to school yet she didn't want to go to school.

But she had missed too many lessons already. She couldn't afford to be behind the class. Aunt Faiza had already called the school to inform them or more like lie that she had got the flu. . . It wasn't flu season yet.

Naima hadn't seen Tawfiq the whole of that week.
Not that she was expecting him or something. But for the one day, she had known him, she could tell he was very stubborn and listened to no one unless he wanted to. And he was the reason, she didn't spend that day in the right way and ended it even worse.

The question was, what was the right way to spend a death anniversary?

Though, Naima could swear she had seen his car after school hours, one time during the week, passing in front of her house.
It could also be her over extensive imagination. It could have just been a car which looked like Tawfiq's car too. She couldn't be fully sure about it because she had seen the car just once and it was at night.

Zain and Aunt Faiza were out so she was practically home alone. Her dad had also left for one of his numerous 'business trips' as he called them. . .again.

Unfortunately, Naima didn't have Belinda's number so she couldn't call her.
She also didn't have anyone's number apart from family on her second hand phone, like literally. Was she a hermit monk in her past life? It was very likely.

Naima got her Blackberry phone two years ago from Zain after he got himself a new phone. She didn't exactly need it but Aunt Faiza insisted in case of any emergency. By some means though, it managed to go off just when you need it. Pfft. Emergency phone.

It was almost 8pm and Aunt Faiza and Zain were still out. Zain was probably with friends and Aunt Faiza must have gone out of town to visit her family.

Naima felt the cold prickly autumn air engulf her and she shivered slightly.
She got up from her bed to lock her windows before she froze in her sleep.

She wore her house coat and home slippers and went downstairs to lock the door.
They both had spare keys to open it up when they got back.

She went back up to her room and the moment she hit her bed, she felt sleep slowly come for.
She had never met a such a lazy person like herself before.

She did nothing the whole day and yet she was drained and tired.

〰️

Argh!

It was Wednesday.

Naima had become so used to her self given break that she didn't feel like going back.

She could drop out and be a housewife?

It sounded like a nice idea to her at the moment.

School was stress.

She went through her normal routine for the morning. She picked out something simple to wear. A grey loose and short-sleeved abaya and an ash hijab. She wore an inner white long sleeved shirt on the inside.

 She wore an inner white long sleeved shirt on the inside